Discuss Which lower price snap cutter? in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com.

Surrey
Hi there, first post and been browsing for a bit before posting and mightily impressed with the wealth of experience here - especially in the 'show us your work' thread.

I'm a builder and get tiling to do on some jobs, (bathrooms etc) and often use a tiler but lately have been doing more of it myself when he's not available.

I'm fed up with budget cutters, they're basically a waste of time so would like some advice on the next level. I'm not planning on spending bundles on the latest super duper cutter as I don't really need one, my jobs tend to be just ordinary ceramic wall and floor tiles and not usually very big - under 450mm and usually 300mm-350mm.

So, Rubi Star 50N Plus or Sigma 2G? any other suggestions in the sub £100 price range? TIA.

Surrey
If you appreciate long lasting tools then Sigma all day, if you just want a cutter that will do the job then Sigma again. :thumbsup:

Are the lower price cutters accurate? the low price cutters I've been using don't always cut square when you place the tile up against the stop - the wheels wander a bit too sometimes giving lovely banana cuts :mad2:

Wouldn't expect this to be such a problem with a brand like Sigma or Rubi.

Surrey
Well in the end I decided to go with the Rubi Star 50N Plus from Screwfix, this choice was made because the tiles I'm currently using are 330mm and the Sigma only goes to 370mm, ok for this job but you can bet the next job they would have been bigger and wouldn't fit the little Sigma. I know if a job comes up with tiles bigger than the Rubi can handle I'll have to buy another, that will have to probably be in part factored into the cost of the job.

I can't believe the difference in the Rubi cutter compared to the cheapo cutters I've been using - everything has been effortless, including taking small edge strips off and every cut has been dead straight.

It's a shame that Sigma don't work like Rubi and make their entry 2G model in a range of sizes instead of just 37cm.

S

Sigma UK

Hello Two-Trowels. We do offer cutters larger than the 37cm 2G as a kind of entry level machine. We have the Tecnica range which are 51cm, 66cm, 48cm & 63cm all below the £200 mark which are made for porcelain etc...etc.. The 2G is meant for small tiles in the kitchen when you don't want to lug around a big cutter. Alot of tilers will also use a 2G for the small victorian tiles and It will still cut porcelain no problem. Also our scoring wheels and bolted in so no chance of any play on the wheel or pins falling out? and only three sizes in our whole range.

Reply to Which lower price snap cutter? in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

You can find DNA blades for Tile Cutters at a very reasonable price from ************** 180mm...
Replies
Views
hmtiling
H
Not looking to start any rows over favourite brands. I already have in my mind the brand I want...
Replies
Views
D
I bought a Rubi TR-600 S a couple of months ago, the price had gone up 10% between me ordering...
Replies
Views
mjp770
M

Popular Tile Cutter Threads

Advertisement

Surrey

Thread Information

Title
Which lower price snap cutter?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters)
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond