Discuss Which Pattern in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I am about to embark on tiling me utility room floor - just got some poly filla to do and last coat of emulsion to put on the walls and a bit of coving to stick up so should be on tiling at the weekend.

Anyway I bought some really nice looking ceramics which look like a light brown/cream coloured marble. They are 225mm x 300mm x 12mm. High gloss and I have had 1 pack open to see the different colours and there appear to be 5 different "patterns" in each box i.e. 2 of each.

I think I will probably open all 8 boxes and give them a good shuffle as there are slight differences in colours although they appear to be the same batch numbers.

What pattern do you guys thing would look best - straight forward cross joints i.e tile edge to tile edge or brick pattern or even herringbone pattern.

I guess I will make the choice myself when I set out but just wondered what your preference would be.

Also I have heaps of 2mm spacers do you think these are ok for this type of tile or should I get bigger ones. I am going to use an off white grout.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Depends on the size, length, width of the floor really, but I always like a diamond set floor. Re spacers...... I would go for minimum 3mm and max of 5mm for the floor. Try the Mapei Jasmine grout. An off white may be too light for a floor

Will not be able to get Mapei sadly but will have a look at the colour. You may be right about the off white. I am thinking a cream colour when I say off white. In terms of the floor size it is about 8m2 and a basic rectangle about 2.5m x 3.5m (ish). Most of one side of the floor will be covered by the units of course so visible tile face will be about 2.0mx3.5m

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Thanks Brian. Yes I will probably have a go at Brick bond ....... straight just looks so boring ....... Yes I have Bal Available so will look at the limestone coloured .

Will also get meself some bigger spacers. Probably go with 4mm cos I can get them free......my second favourite price

T

Time's Ran Out

8780.jpg
Herringbone on a 45 looks good in a small area and you don't get to see too many straight line.

D

Daz

I'm guessing these are the Johnson tiles, judging by your description.

If so, I have done quite a few floors with these in both straight set and brickbond and both patterns looked really good, so I suggest you dry lay a few in each pattern to assist with your decision.

I used a 3mm grout joint but with the slightly bevelled edge this meant that the finished joint came up slightly wider. I use Ardex FS Limestone and the colour really compliments the design, I would guess that the BAL Limestone will also be a good colour match.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
i guess the general principal would be like laying laminate flooring. work from one end of the room cut the last tile to fit and then use the offcut to start the next row. That sounds like a plan. A I say I'll lay it out on the table and se what it looks like.

daryl.......how on earth did you get that from my description.......they are indeed Johnsons Tiles.

Reply to Which Pattern in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hello guys, looking for some advice for this project of hallway tiling. Its an L shaped hallway...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Ajax123

Esteemed
Arms
TF
Lincolnshire
Website
https://www.lkabminerals.com/en/products/gypsol/
What member type are you?
  1. Support Rep (here to provide support only)

Thread Information

Title
Which Pattern
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.