UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Which trowel ... Porcenalosa large tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

elatechi

Hi all,

All walls have been boarded with Marmox 12.5 mm and floor with Marmox 6 mm.

Yesterday, we went to Porcenalosa and missus selected the 1000 mm x 333 mm x 9mm ceramic tiles (Cubica) and the 300 mm x 300 mm x 9 mm ceramic floor tiles.

Am I right on using a 8 mm notched trowel for walls and floor, or would be best to use a 10 mm U shape? I decided to buy Porcenalosa addy as they guaranteed it was made by BAL and was given at a discount.

Cutting the wall tiles would be a challenge as they don't have a smooth glazed face, can I still use a manual cutter or wet is the only way to cut these tiles?

PS: very expensive tiles but I managed to get a 25% discount

M

E

elatechi

Thank you all,

I am struggling to find a 1 meter manual cutter and Porcenalosa have advised to only use wet cutter due to the not uniform glazed shape.

Would you gents have any recommendations do you know which one to hire from HSS: The Bench Tile Saw - 180mm or Bench Tile Saw - 230mm.

I guess a smaller manual cutter would still be needed as the tile width is 33 cm and since I planning to do a landscape layout, only the top/bottom last tiles would need a long cut

Your help is much appreciated

M

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kendo1

Many years ago I made up a Heath Robinson affair from chipboard with a hole cut out for a small wet cutter- plasplugs if I remember correctly. I screwed on some battens as guides and blocks underneath to bring it up to the same height as the cutting platform, and cut slowly, it was only for a few tiles and at the time I could not afford the expense of a large cutter.
It worked for that job and I recycled the board after!
Of course you could always ask a pro. :)

E

elatechi

Finally found where to hire the cutters.. Thanks God! would cost around 100 quids for two days for both the manual and wet cutter :(.

Final questions, My understanding is to always aim for symmetry for example one of my walls is 150 cm wide so instead of using a continues tile and half , I would prefer to have large tile in the middle and 25cm wide tiles in each end. I know it means more cuts but would look better.

The same principal would go for the floors tiles (long and wide )

M

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

Finally found where to hire the cutters.. Thanks God! would cost around 100 quids for two days for both the manual and wet cutter :(.

Final questions, My understanding is to always aim for symmetry for example one of my walls is 150 cm wide so instead of using a continues tile and half , I would prefer to have large tile in the middle and 25cm wide tiles in each end. I know it means more cuts but would look better.

The same principal would go for the floors tiles (long and wide )

M
why not go for 2 @ 75cm? so you have just one vertical joint running up the middle

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Make sure your walls and floor are perfectly level. The tiles that size can be a nightmare if the wall or floor is fractionally out. I decided against the cubica as I wasn't sure how it would look when silicon was run round the bath and basin so opted for venis crystal. They look superb. Have seen the cubica in a finished bathroom and they look spot on if done correctly.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Which trowel ... Porcenalosa large tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Which tile adhesive should I use for 60x60cm porcelain floor tiles? The floor is concrete that...
Replies
Views
I’m tiling a ground floor of a house approx 120m through a ground floor with 5 doorways in the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Which trowel ... Porcenalosa large tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.