UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Which van is best? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike Mike

My transit is rubbish! New diesel pump ...900 quid, new flywheel 800 quid, all comon faults apparently! Only done 70k, oh and the rust! In the last year...Gearbox selector siezed, power steering pulley siezed, slave cylinder leak. I will never ever buy a transit again! Suppose its just your luck but I have lost all faith in Ford! Think my next van will be a berlingo, had one for 2 year and nothing ever went wrong with it and it was not a new one at the time.

Come on now, be reasonable. It's not Ford's fault, its the Germans.

Ford Transit 2000 - 2001 2.0 2.4 DiProblem: Engine running problems, lack of power and / or failure to start.
Solution: The Transit with the 2.0 and 2.4 DuroTorq Di diesel engines suffer from a failing Bosch injection pump. The cam plate fails in the Bosch VP30 fuel injection pump. The solution is to fit a revised and modified injection pump. The fuel system should be thoroughly cleaned and checked for any metal particles in the fuel system. The revised injection pump has been installed since 12/2001.

Flywheel is their fault, but hey, no one's perfect, :lol:

Ford Transit (rear-wheel drive) 2.4 Di up to 2002
Problem: Repeated premature clutch failure and possible damaged dual mass flywheel.
Solution: A revised final drive ratio (5.13) rear axle should be fitted. This will reduce the top speed of the vehicle, but will aid in situations such as a steep hill with full load, preventing repeat clutch failure.

M

Mike Mike

Mines is a 52 plate mike, what happens with the flywheel is the metal shavings come off and go it to the starter motor (ive replaced 2)

Solution-single mass flywheel! Why not have this fitted in the first place?

Charlie, because people who buy modern Diesel vehicles are all tarts and want them to drive as smoothly as petrol limousines. Dual mass flywheels have a damping mechanism between the two masses which smooth out torque loads of the crankshaft.

Pretty much all modern Diesels have a dual mass flywheel (certainly the VWs, Peugeots, Nissans and everything else that everyone is raving about in this survey. And all the manufacturers recommend changing it whenever you change the clutch. But clearly, modern clutches are so good they can last over 100k, whereas the flywheels often can't).

If customers all wrote to manufacturers and told them that they don't mind their commercial vehicle feeling like a commercial vehicle and would prefer a single mass flywheel, which are cheaper to produce, maybe they would take note???

I guarantee that if you go onto ANY forum about the other vehicles that people drive / love, you will find exactly the same problems as you've had with your Transit. And then some.

At least you've never had a cambelt snap right and knacker your valves and cylinder head. Transit has a camchain (from 2001 onwards). All the rest, including the VW Transporter Sportline, have belts, that need changing ever 70k at tremendous expense. (Mercedes also have a chain).

Transit. If it's good enough for The Sweeney... :lol:

C

charlie1

Charlie, because people who buy modern Diesel vehicles are all tarts and want them to drive as smoothly as petrol limousines. Dual mass flywheels have a damping mechanism between the two masses which smooth out torque loads of the crankshaft.

Pretty much all modern Diesels have a dual mass flywheel (certainly the VWs, Peugeots, Nissans and everything else that everyone is raving about in this survey. And all the manufacturers recommend changing it whenever you change the clutch. But clearly, modern clutches are so good they can last over 100k, whereas the flywheels often can't).

If customers all wrote to manufacturers and told them that they don't mind their commercial vehicle feeling like a commercial vehicle and would prefer a single mass flywheel, which are cheaper to produce, maybe they would take note???

I guarantee that if you go onto ANY forum about the other vehicles that people drive / love, you will find exactly the same problems as you've had with your Transit. And then some.

At least you've never had a cambelt snap right and knacker your valves and cylinder head. Transit has a camchain (from 2001 onwards). All the rest, including the VW Transporter Sportline, have belts, that need changing ever 70k at tremendous expense. (Mercedes also have a chain).

Transit. If it's good enough for The Sweeney... :lol:

Very informative mike, I knew roughly how they worked amd how we don't really need the dual mass!

F

Fliselege

TOYOTA HIACE by far the best
I've got one. Great mechanically, goes forever, but rubbisher than rubbish turning circle. Need to do a 27 point turn to get it in a supermarket space. Maybe that's why they stopped making them. Can't wait till it's replaced. Transits O.K now they're making front and four wheel drive, when they were just rear wheel drive they didn't sell here as what sort of mug would have a rear wheel drive in a country covered in snow 6 months of the year.
Phone pics 028.jpg
This is the best thing you can to with a Hiace!!

Somerset
This discussion sits up there with the manual cutter debates. Truth to tell all vehicles can go wrong and be expensive to maintain - especially if yours was built at Dagenham at 1400hours on a Friday!

I had a Transit and thought it was awful. I now have a VW Transporter - love driving it - best investment I ever made. But.....

If you have a Transit (or a Vauxhall, Citroen, FGiat, Toyota, Mercedes) and love it - all the best.

PS. Rubi still make the best manual cutters - Sigma are pants.........

O

Olz

This discussion sits up there with the manual cutter debates. Truth to tell all vehicles can go wrong and be expensive to maintain - especially if yours was built at Dagenham at 1400hours on a Friday!

I had a Transit and thought it was awful. I now have a VW Transporter - love driving it - best investment I ever made. But.....

If you have a Transit (or a Vauxhall, Citroen, FGiat, Toyota, Mercedes) and love it - all the best.

PS. Rubi still make the best manual cutters - Sigma are pants.........

Agree mate, in terms of cars I've had vauxhalls, Mazda, Peugeot and BMW and if you go on there forums you'll find people complaining about stuff. Fact is most people who never have a problem don't ever go on the forums as they have no need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Which van is best? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I'm getting some repair work done in a bathroom covered by my home insurance, they are picking...
Replies
Views
Morning All! I thought it was about time to start a new Good Morning Thread. The old thread can...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.