Discuss White Stains on Exterior Porcelain Tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

L

lesterwilde

Hi folks, Have had 600 x600 porcelain tiles laid onto well cured ecternal screed slab.

Tiles where sold as exterior grade. The have a rough texture to them.

screed slab had been down six months.

Slab had Ardex exterior leveling compound on top of slab before tiling. Ardex exterior adhesive and grouts have been used for laying tiles. Tiles have been laid about 2 weeks.

Tiles had some soil staining on surface had to be washed down with jet wash.

The problem is white staining has appeared in big areas over tiles. Is this the dreaded effervescence salts coming through.

Any suugestions on what can be done to sort this problem out would very much apprecaited.

Thanks Lester

Attachments

• Patio White Patches 3.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 122
T

Tech

Just my 2 pence worth but it might be grouting residue. Try using an acid wash on a single tile and see if this resolves the problem. You'll need to dilute the product with water as it works better diluted than it does neat. Scrub the tile with the solution with a hard brush, then after a couple of minutes rinse thoroughly with water.

My experience is predominantly interior tiling so not heard of the salt problem. By 99% of cleaning problems and white staining like this is due to grouting residue.

Final idea if this doesn't resolve it is to call someone like Fila Chemicals who have a technical department who'll give you some more advice!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to White Stains on Exterior Porcelain Tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB