Discuss white tiles discolouring around edges in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

We just go a new bathroom fitted and all walls tiled in a white satin tile, including inside the shower enclosure. After just 4 uses, the tiles inside the shower cubicle turned a grey colour around the edges, both where it was grouted and along the edges sealed with silicone. I guess it must be water getting into/behind the tile? If left for long enough the tiles will dry and return to the white colour. It happens everywhere where the water from the shower gets to. You can hold the showerhead in one tiled spot and after 20 seconds you can see the discolouration happen. We have had both the owner of the tile shop that sold us the tiles and the tiler have a look at it. The tile shop owner tries to blame it on poor workmanship and the tiler on the materials (tiles, grout and adhesive were all bought from the same shop). We've had other people comment on how good the tiling job looks, and at closer inspection of the tiling and grouting I can't see how it could be poor workmanship - unless he did something wrong underneath. So, the big question is, is it possible to say what/who is at fault and do we have any other option but to rip out and replace all the tiles?

U

Unregistered

The tiles are called cermiks blanco mate, they are ceramic and have a red bisquit. The grout is palace anti mould flexible wall tile grout in white. It hasn't been sealed... yet!
So is this something I just have to live with and it is happening because of the type of tile, as in it's a matt/satin finish?
Will it not cause damage to what's behind the tile or is water always going through and just not visible when other tiles are used?
If a sealer would solve the problem I would be happy enough to just do that. Is there a brand that you'd recommend? And would it have to be applied regularly?
Thank you for all the replies!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to white tiles discolouring around edges in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB