Discuss Who invented tile adhesive in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

BAL TAD was the first ready mixed tile adhesive that I used in the early 1970s. Until then we had used sand and cement.
Looking up this on Google it tells me that it was introduced in 1963 however there were others around in the 1950s but without the technical support of the industry.

As for the notched trowel - as an apprentice, the very first job I did was to take a plasterers float and a round file and cut the teeth for my 'notched trowel'.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
BAL TAD was the first ready mixed tile adhesive that I used in the early 1970s. Until then we had used sand and cement.
Looking up this on Google it tells me that it was introduced in 1963 however there were others around in the 1950s but without the technical support of the industry.

As for the notched trowel - as an apprentice, the very first job I did was to take a plasterers float and a round file and cut the teeth for my 'notched trowel'.

Do you remember working alongside the romans tj..:sofahide: lol

When I first started,the tubbed adhesive was Bal tad ,just as Timeless but before that the old tilers used a Tinned adhesive called Richafix but they had a lot of failures with the stuff went back on many a job in the 70s putting it right,it was a bit like evostik but a dark brown colour,didnt start using powder until about 77 that was Bal cem no rapid then

Last edited:
T

Time's Ran Out

TJs first job was a small washpool for Julius Caesar and it progressed from there
You are pretty close - I'am actually based in Wallsend, a suburb of Newcastle, and as its name suggests its the start/end of Hadrians Wall. We have here Segadunum which was a fort and buildings including baths that the Emperor Hadrian had built as the northern most outpost of the Roman Empire! So if I had been lucky enough to be a tiler in 55AD no doubt I'd have received my 2heckles a day pay for fixing mosaic to someone's bath!!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
You are pretty close - I'am actually based in Wallsend, a suburb of Newcastle, and as its name suggests its the start/end of Hadrians Wall. We have here Segadunum which was a fort and buildings including baths that the Emperor Hadrian had built as the northern most outpost of the Roman Empire! So if I had been lucky enough to be a tiler in 55AD no doubt I'd have received my 2heckles a day pay for fixing mosaic to someone's bath!!

I wasn't joking TJ. It was said in all seriousness. Just got the dates a little out :sofahide:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Who invented tile adhesive in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Agree
    • Informative
Is the issue with ready mixed adhesive seemingly only recommended for 30x30 tiles max that it...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB