Discuss Why ask ...... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stu-180

Was speaking to a building this morning who asked about a project im doing, I told him I needed to overboard a bathroom floor with 18mm ply to tile it, he told me -

"No, you just need 6mm ply"

I said "No, 15mm minimum"

I then said I will need to pick up some bagged flexible adhesive to which he told me "just get tubed stuff" ....... :mad2:

I told him the floor will fail, he insisted it will be fine .....

I am doing it my way, im just amazed that this guy simply dismissed what I was saying as 'he knows better' !

I wasn't trying to be a 'know all' , just telling him what I will be doing to which he basically said everything I was doing was wrong ! :lol:

Oh well ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Bedford
Was speaking to a building this morning who asked about a project im doing, I told him I needed to overboard a bathroom floor with 18mm ply to tile it, he told me -

I then said I will need to pick up some bagged flexible adhesive to which he told me "just get tubed stuff" ....... :mad2:

I am doing it my way, im just amazed that this guy simply dismissed what I was saying as 'he knows better' !

I wasn't trying to be a 'know all' , just telling him what I will be doing to which he basically said everything I was doing was wrong ! :lol:

Oh well ...

I'd be running as fast as I could with smoke billowing from me boots lol How come your smilies are working then?

Last edited:
C

CJ CERAMICS

point him in the direction of TF, Stu. Best to try and educate these people towards the correct way of doing things:thumbsup:

you could certainly point him to TF stu but i doubt it would make much difference.....sounds more like its profit over correctness to me.
personally i dont think i would be working for that builder unless i specified the materials for the job.

D

david campbell

Oh well ...
you might not want to get caught doing that as it's quite hard to tile with a straight jacket on!!!!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Well done for doing it the right way Stu mate.

I love it when "builders" think they know everything. Building isn't even technically a trade either! There's no such qualification for "building". You'd be a bricky, or a plasterers, or something other than builder. A builder normally means they're nothing, but have bodged their way into getting customers and jobs some how.

The moment I used to hear "my builder says...." I always say, sorry, you're what? "my builder" what's his actual trade then? "well, he builds houses" so is he a property developer or architect or brick layer - no, I don't think so! Non of those.

So you're trusting a guy who hasn't got an actual individual trade over me with my advice when I'm JUST a tiler? I couldn't care less what your builder says love.

lol

Reply to Why ask ...... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Why ask ......
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.