Discuss Why do we tell punters in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

How to do there DIY jobs ! ? i go on other forums , none of the other forums tell everyone how to do there trade/ profession except this one really , and i think its a bit self -defeating as it put tilers -out of work !!!! and i think that is madness in this recession can one of the mods put a pole up for me just a simple yes/ no to see what the other guys on the forum think please :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

It has been said for a while now dave ... Hence you will see my Advice to diy etc is virtually ZERO!!!..

But this is an advice forum for ALL and not just a forum for tilers.. if it was a trade only forum then it would be locked and have virtually no posts.. this is what makes it differ from others and what makes this forum busy.

But yes i agree , we are hanging ourselves..

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colour Republic

People are going to have a go a their own DIY tiling whether we help them or not, if anything I think a lot of the technical advice provided on the forum may actually scare people and make them think twice about doing it themselves. It could be having the opposite affect and actually getting tilers more work.

I completely agree with that.

In addition I've won plenty of work from forums, some bloody big ones too, just because they have seen the advice I have given to somebody else and foolishly thought this guy knows what he's talking about :lol:

I

Ian

I completely agree with that.

In addition I've won plenty of work from forums, some bloody big ones too, just because they have seen the advice I have given to somebody else and foolishly thought this guy knows what he's talking about :lol:

I've had stack loads of work from this forum, both directly and through contacts I've made from forum jobs. I reckon the more advice I give the more work I get. I'll keep giving if I keep getting back :lol:

B

Bubblecraft

I voted yes cause as above, the proper advice to do a job correctly can scare the DIY'er but they will appreciate the advice given & may get you to do it. Maybe not so much on a forum but I give advice to anyone asking no matter the trade. If I feel that the questions they are asking should only be accomplished by a competent person, then I'll say so. In doing so, I pass out my card. Normally get a call within 24hrs wether they feel its too complicated, they've messed it up or the advice I've given has showed that I am the competent person for the job

C

charlie1

I've recently been approached by another very well established tiler from my area who was working in a house where I had done some tiling, I was too busy to do the current work due to being too busy but that's another story, anyway, he says great job bla bla bla, I shall pass you on some of my work. Next time we speak he is mentioning a job we can work on together, now if it was a high meter age floor I'd have thought fair enough but it's a bathroom.... I'm slightly sus tbh

T

Time's Ran Out

I'am a 'Don't care' kind of member!
I offered to set out a Victorian floor for a post a couple of years ago and even though he was a 5underland supporter he realised how difficult the job was going to be and asked us to do it.
And then there are some that are just out of their depth and have money to waste!
Most think our trade is easy and DIY is fun and interesting, and no doubt are happy with their efforts. Then we can see through this Forum some of the jobs that have been ruined by so called tilers and people of little experience peddling themselves for hard earned money.
At least a few customers can do some research and see what should be achieved correctly so our input can only help our profession.
So to the point - I don't care if I help or don't help a DIY person, but I do want my trade to be done to the highest standard and if that means more work for 'team timeless' then keep on posting.
Happy Easter.

P

Peter

Would say there's enough info on the forum now through searches where more or less every scenario has been covered. I know I'd look up things from time to time and usually find the answer in old posts.

Not fussed about it one way or another, if a DIYer wants a go then fair play to them. No different from tilers doing painting/plumbing etc in their own house. There will still be enough people who wouldn't have a clue where to start to keep the work coming.

B

BoldreChris

I can't see that there's a big problem with explaining to folks the right way to work. If they're DIYers, they'll probably get scared off (by the expense of tools and proper materials too !) and get a proper tiler in anyway (and then know how to judge if they're actually competent to do it). The cowboys will allways have a go anyway and we could just save some of their customers from total disaster. Sounds worthwhile to me.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Why do we tell punters in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

O
    • Informative
    • Winner
so I'm currently undertaking a project at the moment with 1800 x 800 x 10mm Florim porcelain...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
W
I will be doing full bathroom renovation, and the plan is to build a walk in shower due to the...
Replies
Views
Paul Bleasdale
P
R
Hi all, I know questions regarding wooden type floors has been asked many times on many forums...
Replies
Views
F
I know the bubbles out before you start but keeping it still while trying to take a pic with my...
Replies
Views
Fliselege
F
D
I JUST FOUND THIS POST ON ANOTHER PLASTERING FORUM AND BORROWED IT TO SHOW YOU GUYS OUR TRADE OF...
Replies
Views
Turkish tiler
T

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB