Discuss why dont people take advice given in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

merit

TF
just lost out out on a couple of jobs cos i was too expensive compared to others,
id priced for a full rip out back to brick , reboard ect, explained all reasons for this tile weights ect,
someones come in and covered the already plaster skimmed walls with bonding coat, scratched it up and said its ready for tiling,plumber sez to client ,never seen that done before,client phones tiler, yea its all ok ill just uni bond it,luckily for him this tiler doesnt fit porcelain tiles as he cant cut em,so he has phoned another tiler
who can fit em to sort it out. they have already forked out for the plasterer,it will all have to come off anyway,so how can i be too expensive,next one went to price up , client telling me he doesnt want to pay for the extra work in taking down a 400 by 400 plasterboard off a wall that has been tiled over plaster and on top of that about half inch of some crap adhesive,ive just walked away and ill keep walking,but how can we compete against these cowboys

M

Mr Tiler

I guess you guys loose an awful lot of work due to this problem eh? its very understandable that if someone who wouldn't have the slightest about tiling would be rather easily blagged into thinking one job will be just as good as the next... but for a hell of a lot cheaper... but they don't understand the cost of replacing in a year or so even a few months. shame really and this is why I want to do it the rite way so I don't fit in with that crowed!

judge

TF
Arms
Went to look at a job yesterday and the guys builder had tiled the floor (600 x 300 polished porc) in brickbond(3-4 mm lippage !!!).Layed directly onto chipboard with 1mm spacers!!!Curious as to what addy he had used he showed me what he had left from the floor.(bal whitestar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!).Anyway ,I was there to quote for the walls so phoned him today and suggested he rips the floor up before i tile the walls. Guess what........................Im to expensive so his builder dads gonna do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad2:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I find its because people are generally quite greedy and would rather listen to advice which saves them money. It's a very short thermostat attitude as it often leads to greater costs in the end. There is also so much wildly conflicting advice from a range of so called experts who are often not qualified to give such advice.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to why dont people take advice given in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
G
Hi guys, sorry for long post, just after a bit of advice regarding my first proper complaint...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, looking for advice with regard to Polypipe overlay. We have bought this already for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB