Discuss Why Tank in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Q

Qwerty

Here you go mate.......
....and yes the Bal kit will be fine ( a bit expensive....may want to try Mapei Shower waterproofing kit )

Attachments

• geoffs phone March 2011 312.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 65
  • geoffs phone March 2011 313.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 76
Q

Qwerty

You dont HAVE to tank but it is advisable. The water 'can' get into the wall, its not a given that it will. I have removed plenty of old showers that had some pretty rough tiling and grouting that had no evidence of ever being damp let alone wet.

However for the cost and the time i tank all my wet areas.

You are right Scott......... I think it should be British Standards myself

So water must pass through the tile or more likely the grout,or bad workmanship or wrong materials to cause this kind of failure so all tanking will do in this case is trap the water between tiling and tanking and eventualy blow tiles of wall but the tanking will prevent anymore water damage. In my lifetime ive seen loads of showers tiled on plasterboard with no tanking but the correct mats used with no problems so i have my reservations about using expensive tanking systems when with using the correct materials realy not needed, just my opinion though.

Reply to Why Tank in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

• Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
Hi, We're currently adding an en-suite to a downstairs bedroom, everything is going well so far...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I have a shower tray installed and it is sitting away from the wall. I am going to...
Replies
Views
Hi, We are redoing our main bathroom and looking for a second opinion on tanking. We have bought...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Why Tank
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.