UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss why won't some customers listen.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
just back from looking at a bathroom, 30m2 500x300 marble slabs very heavy tiles, and to heavy for the customers skimmed walls, i spent 15mins trying to explain to him about weight limits onto skimmed plaster, showed him the bal fixing leaflet, explaining about the weight limits, and his reply......well if you dont want to do the job, i will find some that will...:mad2: hes got to young kids running about, and it beggers belive he wont listen.

this is the second job this month ive looked at, where they have already bought tiles that are to heavy for skimmed walls, and have no intrest in preping the walls, or changing the tiles even when you show them in writing the weight limits for tiles.

sad fact is some one will do the job..:mad2::mad2:

rant over!!!!!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
la la la la la lala lala... like taking to yourself sometimes isn;t it.. :(

it is dave, and to be honest i felt like smacking him one for wasting my time and fuel..

and i agree the tile shops should give more info, however the one job i looked at the tiles were from homebase, the customer was adiment the were fine because it said on the box wall and floor tile...

H

hillhead

I even walked from a job this morning, 4m2 of glass tiles on sheets with 2-3mm joints tapered too.
To top that they had removed the old tiles so the walls needed serious prep work i.e re plaster with rapid set after removing what was left of tiles too.
I couldn't agree a proper price for prepping never mind the hard cutting of glass.
I thought i'd leave it for some mug to do.
Bet it'll be a mess too, walls like bananas with bad bits everywhere.
It pays to walk at times as it helps the head.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
The shops do definitely need to give more advice about this. There should be signs knocking around in the stone isles of the stores that say 'make sure you give much thought to the preparation when fixing these tiles as they are heavy - ask a member of staff for more information'. If you think about it, they could even end up selling a bit more of the higher end adhesives and primers and whatnot too so it'd be advantageous all round.

In fact, it'd be nice to see a demonstation area in the store where it shows you timbers fixed to walls, then boards fixed to that, then heavy stone fixed to that, but so you can see each of the stages. They'd flog more boards too. If I were a shop I'd even start stocking a little timber too down the stone isle so people question it a bit more often. Might even sell the odd length too while they're at it.

But, that said, you'll still get the numpties that just risk it thinking 'I've never seen it done they're trying to rob me'.

People shouldn't try to have big expensive stone and scrimp on the fixing of them. It's crazy. It's like having a really nice house built to show off, but then inside you're living in tents and it's all leaking. Okay perhaps not quite like that but you know what I mean. They wouldn't do that sort of thing.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
The shops do definitely need to give more advice about this. There should be signs knocking around in the stone isles of the stores that say 'make sure you give much thought to the preparation when fixing these tiles as they are heavy - ask a member of staff for more information'. If you think about it, they could even end up selling a bit more of the higher end adhesives and primers and whatnot too so it'd be advantageous all round.

In fact, it'd be nice to see a demonstation area in the store where it shows you timbers fixed to walls, then boards fixed to that, then heavy stone fixed to that, but so you can see each of the stages. They'd flog more boards too. If I were a shop I'd even start stocking a little timber too down the stone isle so people question it a bit more often. Might even sell the odd length too while they're at it.

But, that said, you'll still get the numpties that just risk it thinking 'I've never seen it done they're trying to rob me'.

People shouldn't try to have big expensive stone and scrimp on the fixing of them. It's crazy. It's like having a really nice house built to show off, but then inside you're living in tents and it's all leaking. Okay perhaps not quite like that but you know what I mean. They wouldn't do that sort of thing.

Quite right Dan, when I look at a job and it's a nice house you know that they need to be spending a certain percentage of the house value on the bathroom and kitchen. ie. 500k house expect 13-15k per bathroom, 20-30k on kitchen, these houses are not for B&Q, Wickes quality bathrooms.

R

redlee

Not sure it matters what the shops do, if you tell someone the tiles are over the weight limits and they're not arsed you can either stick em or walk.
I've had the same with a porcelain job recently - explained about weight limits and the customer looked at me like i had 2 heads, said he'd never heard of any issues re weights of tiles so i advised him to have a quick google and mentioned that some manufacturers are now putting the weight on the box. He had already bought the tiles so wasn't too bothered about listening to my advice - we went and had a look at the boxed tiles (from one of the diy sheds-Wickes i think) there it had all the weight limits re substrates on the packaging along with the weight of the tiles - his response - its only a bit over the weight limit isn't it?

S

Stef

I wonder! whats the stats for people being admited to A&E due to a lump of trav falling off? In recent years there have been 2 interesting factors, 1, lots of new tilers (myself included)and lots who are ignorant to weight limitations. 2, travertine (very popular) We may be sitting on a bit of a time bomb!

The difference is though Charlie, you are on here learning as much as you can like the rest of us & joe bloggs is sitting in the pud "thinking he knows everything" he needs to know about tiling.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to why won't some customers listen.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

G
Hi guys, sorry for long post, just after a bit of advice regarding my first proper complaint...
Replies
Views
R
Hi there. So i have a job coming up. 5 fully tiled bathrooms. Glazed Porcelain tiles 300 x...
Replies
Views
Kevbos
K
Okay so I'm not going to link to or mention any specific threads going on but we see this quite...
Replies
Views
lawrenso
L
I received an enquiry regarding some split faced mosaic on a feature fireplace, the builder used...
Replies
Views
Dougs Third Go
D
M
I've been tiling for 12 years now never really had problems with customers till now! started...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.