UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Wildly different quotes for laying travertine... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonobaker

As the title says, I've had three massively different quotes for laying these tiles in my kitchen. Any advice would be appreciated.
The tiles I have bought are Hoppe Travertine Brush Chisel Edge unfilled tiles.
The space is about 19sq metres taking into account various intrusions like a breakfast bar, chimney breast, etc.
They wll be laid on floorboards. All three quotes included laying plywood first (one said 6mm, another 9mm).
First guy quoted £900 and said it would take about 7 days to complete.
Second guy quoted £1,300 and five days to complete using two people.
Third guy quoted £590 and two and a half days to complete.
All quotes included flexible adhesive, sealant and grout.
The tiles are mixed shapes and sizes. I think each pack contains one large square (16in x 16in), one small square, one larger rectangle, one small rectangle.
Which sounds the most realistically priced and timescale for laying?
These are north of England prices if that is relevant.
Many thanks :)
Jono

D

DevonR

Hello,

to start with have any of these quotes come from tilers with experience of using natural stone? Many tilers will quote on these but don't have the experience of how to lay and treat them.
Secondly I would question 6 or 9mm ply, British Standards says 18mm minimum and if your using heavy stone then less than 12mm will probably not support the weight.
I'll let one of the guys who have experience laying natural stone advise on timescales and costs as natural stone does cost more to lay than ceramic you also have to seal it as well, does you quote include sealing?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Sounds like the last guy is treating them like a normal tile, the first guy is on his own so it would take a little longer but it would be for a little less, and the guy in the middle with a mate will get through the work quicker as he has a helper but he needs to pay this helper so it would cost more on the job. It makes sense to me, apart from the last guy who is either really quick and has 6 hands or would be saying to you in 2 days time "it's gonna take longer than I thought Mr".

I'd say go for the first guy.

Really though, any could end up as good as each other. If the last guy has just done two of these floors then he's laughing as he knows his speed and is confident with that tile combination and his price he's given you and to quote 2 and a half days and not three he clearly knows something the others don't.

The prices are not bad if they include flexible adhesive etc too by the way, that stuff ain't cheap these days.

Still, I'd say the first guy for some reason. :)

C

Concept PHT

As a rule, always go for the middle quote. I have had plenty of feedback from customers saying that "You was the middle quote" - followed up by references from these people about my work. :)

On the flip side, when I have been to quote, some customers have said that I was not the cheapest. I never heard from most of them again except when I have been called to give my opinions on the standard of work done by the 'cheapest quote' and the cost to put it right.

The whole thing goes back to first impressions of the tiler when he/she comes to quote. Smart, confident, knowledgeable and turns up in a van, not in a mondeo estate....

Just for your calculation, I have worked out the labour to be £119 a day for the first 2 quotes. Which isn't bad for the first quote, but why the 2nd quote needs to pay his labourer this daily rate is questionable. He should be taking £119 for himself and paying the labourer an hourly rate of about £6 per hour. After all, all the labourer is doing is mixing, carrying, cleaning and maybe a bit of cutting.

Go for the second quote :)

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
North East
The price is irrelevant to a degree, if the two cheapest quotes out of the 3 didnt know what they were talking about and you didnt like them would you still pick one of them, i dont think so. The ones who get the business are the ones with the most knowledge to do the job right and the best people skills. This is what i drum into my students on the course.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Wildly different quotes for laying travertine... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
G
Hi guys, sorry for long post, just after a bit of advice regarding my first proper complaint...
Replies
Views
J
Hi everyone I've done several trades across construction, and the thing I struggle most with is...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.