Discuss wolverhampton area in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SCCB

It's city and guilds accredited I think

This sort of course will not give you the ability to be a competent tiler, it will be a basic introduction to the tiling industry. Time served and working with an experianced fixer is what you need. Self employment is scary if you don't have the work or the right contacts.
At 24 years of age it's not going to be easy getting into the industry when trying to learn a trade and earn money to pay bills at the same time (very scary).
Consider a more substantial course diploma level 2 or an apprentiship that could lead to industry contacts.

From another post.

Has anyone considered taking on an apprentice, funding is available from TTA and CITB. The age limit is 16-24 for an apprentice and there is funding called age grant, the funding can be up to £10.000 for the employer if all the criteria is met for the candidate...Or has anyone hard any experience with apprenticeships good or bad ???

I'd absolutely love to !

However , the main barrier to such a venture for me is highlighted in your text.

I did write a post somewhere regarding the red tape/constraints etc for the likes of sole traders like myself and many others on this site , I can't find it however.

It always strike me as hilarious how some people are willing to pay £9k for what in many cases would seem to be a worthless piece of paper from some university.
Yet if I were to operate the same system it would be called slave labour!

Not that I'm advocating not paying a lad/ladess should I take someone on , just that I feel there is a huge discrepancy between the value of a <cough> degree </cough> in something like sports/media/nail polishing / (insert your own here) and the value of a trade that will enable you to earn a living through to retirement and beyond.

I'll stop there , my blood is starting to boil.

Cheers

Diggy

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to wolverhampton area in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I'm looking to tile the entirety of our small patio area with either brick slips or...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB