Discuss wondering how this was done in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tilerjason

hi hope i can help, i sub contract for the council and your right with what you say, ideally you shouldnt tile and grout in the same day, letalone in the same hrs, but the problem is you get paid same as site work, by pre meter ( finished ), so if you only put on 4 (m2) thats £40 so most tilers try fit 2 / 3 jobs in , in a day. slap and dash , slap and dash not the best work in the world but thats what some councils and contractors require and as long as they ll take the blame if something goes wrong then whos to argue . dont get me wrong i know theres a few people out there who this will upset and yes we know its not the correct way to tile but every building site in the uk does this and most councils, hospitals, and most big companys do it this way . i personally tell the council that ill provide the materials and only use powered adhesive that way i know that the adhesive will set even if its grouted.

i often wonder is it the poorguys on the front line that are resposible for so many council cockups or are they the victims of never mind doing it properly just get it done within whatever crazy budget restraints have been handed down from on high.? as a past 60 geyser i remember when council guys were subject to a clerk of works who was all powerful.if it wasnt done right you were in big trouble.o happy days.

T

tilerjason

if your good and fast you , you ll have council and site work screaming for you as there some serious ££££££££ to be made but like i said you have to be good & fast. only advice i can give people is, if its wrong dont do it as you are still liable as your the fitter and your suppose to know better, ive had some right arguments with site agents and even had them ask me to leave sites but then been called back by them and asked to come back. its just the same as an electrician wireing a socket using the wrong cable, also its your name your putting to the job, quality should always come before quantity as we are classed as a finishing trade quality represents you

Reply to wondering how this was done in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
wondering how this was done
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.