Discuss Work..? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I'd predict that customers may be holding on to cash a bit more, hopefully that means doing up their homes and not moving on to one done up. Though downgrading seems to be the trend and if that's the case then they may have cash spare to do up the house etc.

That said, on every tesco petrol pump around here, there's a B&Q advert that "teaches [customers] how to tile". First lesson £10 or something daft. So swings and roundabouts maybe.

For those not doing so well, consider spending time (not money) increasing your local and even online presence. For those doing well, stick all good work and happy customers in a portfolio and have lots of copies of it (should you loose your main one) and really push the fact that a tiler that knows what he's doing should get the job and show 'em why at the point of measuring up...!

S

Spud

I had this conversation today with an old tiler friend of mine, who was an outstanding tiler when he was on the tools, about how during the last recession we were working 7 days a week and doing late ones too,which is pretty much how the latter part of last year was for me and for alot of the guys on this forum, he put it down to 3 things,1.we always concentrated on the quality of the work 2.we were flexible on prices 3. we had plenty of contacts ,It meant we kept our customers ,got recommendations and earnt enough to survive through hard times ,we did work longer hours to gain less money but we got through it and came out the other end

T

Time's Ran Out

I'am really looking forward to this year!:smilewinkgrin:
Enough in January to see me through to my holiday in Tenerife in Febuary and as soon as the weather improves 4 victorian entrances/paths for the spring.:smilewinkgrin:
Going to take the first few months easy and have picked up some excellent bathroom work from a group of tradesmen who have formed a co-op style bathroom showroom - plumber/electrician/plasterer/and old tiler.:lol:

P.S. Couldn't agree with Gary more.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The D

had a bad start to 2011 i started back on site to day got there for 7.30 by 7.35 i had a call from the builder saying do not do any work until i get there. so i had a coffee and some snap the builder arrived at 8.30 and told all the lads to pack up there tools and get them of site as he was closing the job. apparently there has been a dispute between the builder and a supplier over a £60000.00 staircase and £70000.00 worth of windows. it has been to court and the builder has lost so now he has to take the client to court and the client will have to take the architect to court. so for the moment the job has stopped.

T

tfs

I am lucky to have a local plumber who does bathrooms and a good local tiler passing work over to me on a regular basis so when Im quiet I usualy at least have some work to do for them and occasionaly work alongside them on bigger jobs. Fingers crossed, everything seems to be going well just now. The plumber I do work for has a few bathrooms and kitchens that I will be helping out with a week here and a week there over the next two months.

Reply to Work..? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Our tiler has done a really amazing job with our kitchen flooring, but has used a...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Work..?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.