Discuss work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

I can understand the frustration you may well feel with losing work to other trades, however you should be asking the question WHY?
We have been doing work for a Bathroom Co. and one of the partners does his own work as a one man band, plumbing/tiling/joinery, and he is always booked up for months. He turns out a very respectable job and has called us in on a couple of occasions to help keep his schedules on track. On top of that his Bathroom Co interest provides 3 bathrooms a month for us and they have only been going for 8 months.
Why - is he doing his own tiling? An experienced tiler should be able to undertake the work at a competitive rate.
Why - did he win the job? Does he have the desire/enthuisiasm/confidence that the client is looking for.

But on the other hand - he could be cheap and end up making a right mess.:smilewinkgrin:

T

tilerjason

in blackpool especially with hotels people want cheap work ( thats if they pay you) hotels are being hit hard and i know of 6 tilers this month who have been knocked by people getting tiling done then either moving out and selling the property or just going bust as you only get a 14 day notice when they repo a hotel its a mine field , if you try and estimate a decent price people dont want to know yet travel 5 miles into st annes and quote the same price youll get the job all day everyday, i didnt spend 4 years training to get qualified to end up graffing for peanuts , its just a dog eat dog town

E

enduro

in blackpool especially with hotels people want cheap work ( thats if they pay you) hotels are being hit hard and i know of 6 tilers this month who have been knocked by people getting tiling done then either moving out and selling the property or just going bust as you only get a 14 day notice when they repo a hotel its a mine field , if you try and estimate a decent price people dont want to know yet travel 5 miles into st annes and quote the same price youll get the job all day everyday, i didnt spend 4 years training to get qualified to end up graffing for peanuts , its just a dog eat dog town

Cant understand your post!! One minute your saying you cant get any work..then the next post you say 'Travel 5 miles into st annes and quote the same price you will get the job'. So i think you should try pricing work a little further out, and looking at how you sell yourself to the customer.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I can understand the frustration you may well feel with losing work to other trades, however you should be asking the question WHY?
We have been doing work for a Bathroom Co. and one of the partners does his own work as a one man band, plumbing/tiling/joinery, and he is always booked up for months. He turns out a very respectable job and has called us in on a couple of occasions to help keep his schedules on track. On top of that his Bathroom Co interest provides 3 bathrooms a month for us and they have only been going for 8 months.
Why - is he doing his own tiling? An experienced tiler should be able to undertake the work at a competitive rate.
Why - did he win the job? Does he have the desire/enthuisiasm/confidence that the client is looking for.

But on the other hand - he could be cheap and end up making a right mess.:smilewinkgrin:

i'll tell you the reason why, its because the plumbers are short of work (well they are in my area) so as they would normally get me to do the tiling, they do it themselfs and as there allready there they can under cut you on price and make it up on the plumbing, i caught one of the plumbers i work for loading tiles on his van the other day, and i think he nearly died when he saw me pull into the car park, he was full of apologies but he said it was a case of do the tiling himself or sit at home doing nowt, so untill things pick up and trades stick to there own trades, were never going to get out of this hole.

T

Time's Ran Out

In the last 38 years there has been a few 'slow' periods in the building industry and it usually cuts out the fringe players across the trades.
During the busy times it's important to look after your clients with a level of service that will be noted by future referrals and try to build up a range of contacts that will return for the next project.
In the last 3 months we've undertaken a numbers of large domestic contracts for clients who previously had tiling done by us 8-10 years ago.
This IS the best job in the world.

C

Colour Republic

timeless john im looking for work no a pep talk,my post is looking for work

Ironically you have just demonstrated TJ's point beautifully. With an attitude like that is it any wonder you are looking for work?

Just randomly asking strangers for work without giving any sort of background info on yourself seems rather odd to me, why should they give you work? just because you asked?

J

jwatson

In the last 38 years there has been a few 'slow' periods in the building industry and it usually cuts out the fringe players across the trades.
During the busy times it's important to look after your clients with a level of service that will be noted by future referrals and try to build up a range of contacts that will return for the next project.
In the last 3 months we've undertaken a numbers of large domestic contracts for clients who previously had tiling done by us 8-10 years ago.
This IS the best job in the world.

Cheers for this useful post john, as far as i gather from all the "vetrain pro's" on here lol,
it is a reputation business as proven by the work you have got in from previous job 10yrs ago, there is gonna be hard times and in these hard times we will have to deliver a level of service second to none. Great customer service,design help, educating customers, and ultimatly a great end product/finish. imo all these will be needed by anyone hoping to survive in thse testing times when the market seems to be saturated by tilers.
in a wierd way i am glad things are lean at the moment as the hunger, determination and fight for work needed can only be good for me.

Reply to work in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
work
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.