Discuss Work in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I work privately at the moment. People are spending! But competition at quoting stage is what's slowing people up. Like with most other jobs you have to be able to sell yourself. Im spending a lot more time with potential customers to win jobs at good rates. Not landings many but those i do have listened and understand why im more expensive than many other quotes they get in.
If you walk in, measure up and are done in 10 minutes your not likely to land it unless you are the cheapest by far. Tell then what your going to do, explain your prep and materials you'll use. Most i find say other trades are saying "ply" "pva" etc. Tell then why and consequence if not done correctly and leave it as food for thought. Most peoples conscience get them spending a bit more to do it right.

T

trevortine

It's all a bit up and down at the moment. Personally I'm doing ok and have a lot booked in at the moment but the past few months have been more a case of ticking over than stressed out. I recently visited five or six tile shops in Glasgow on the hunt for an old tile and all the shops told me the same. Some people are bragging about being snowed under when it simply just isn't the case. Maybe it's an ego thing I don't know but one things for sure, it ain't like it used to be, but things can only get better eh!

C

charlie1

It's all a bit up and down at the moment. Personally I'm doing ok and have a lot booked in at the moment but the past few months have been more a case of ticking over than stressed out. I recently visited five or six tile shops in Glasgow on the hunt for an old tile and all the shops told me the same. Some people are bragging about being snowed under when it simply just isn't the case. Maybe it's an ego thing I don't know but one things for sure, it ain't like it used to be, but things can only get better eh!

Ive yet to meet a tiler down the shop that tells me he is not busy, yes I think there is an ego thing going on (in our trade particularly)

J

Jim Stradwick

It's very up and down here ,but I'm busy and I'm not cheap. I want to slow it down a little and enjoy life a little. Taxes are about 30-35% here and like everywhere there's someone that will do it cheaper. We do everything here by the sqft not by the sq meter, so I have to retrain myself on that one .
stores are paying $*** sqft Canadian ,I'm getting $***** sqft for just plain layout 12 by 24s ,how does that compare??

Last edited by a moderator:

turnip

TF
Arms
i seen a lad i know at tiles uk on monday said he was bombed out til november, when i went out side to load van he was loading 6*6 in van ,he on council bashing £10 a meter , big bucks.
might be enough to keep bread and water on his table, mrs working too, no kids, cheap rent on the council, probably feels rich!

Its very much luck of the draw and unfortunately every man for himself (and woman for herself if Lynn is reading)!?
Doesn't matter if your good or barely able, if you need the work its down to sacrifice unfortunately..

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Work in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
  • Article
I can personally recommend UK Pro Tiling. Darren is a great tutor, the aftercare is great and it...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
Hi, I recently purchased my first property and the existing kitchen floor porcelain tiles were...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB