UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Would a washboy be a waste of money?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SteveyJ

Hi all.

Been thinking about it for a while but can't decide if getting a washboy will be a waste of money or not???

Read lots of posts and people say for floors yes, but walls can be a waste, so thought I would post what the majority of my work is and see what you guys think. Nearly all my work is bathrooms and wetrooms so floor coverage normally about 4sq/m and wall tiling on average about 20sq/m. So don't do any large hotel or car showroom floors lol just regular domestic bathrooms.

So what do you think should I get one or stick to 2 buckets and ardex sponges - while we say that is it worth using a branded sponge or just buy a cheap grouting sponge??

Thanks all Steve

S

SteveyJ

I was,nt aware that they were I always use mine on walls and floors with same result
Make sure you get good sponges raimondi best IMO from Kwik split

Maybe I didn't mean so much better, but why do alot of posts and people say great if your doing large floor areas, or great for floors - just search the forum for washboy useage oin this forum and you'll see

C

CDS

I go through phases of using mine - Find that with a new float you get nice grout lines but as soon as the sponge starts to wear grout lines can become too deep. Haven't found a really good supplier of sponges, did start using rubi which seemed really good then my local supplier stopped doing them.

Generally I think Washboys are good for doing large areas of walls or floors quickly but not so flexible for fiddly areas...I do find that I tend to get more grout haze than if I just use decent sponges. Think its all down to personal preference.

O

On one

i bought one used it twice and put back in the garage, just cant get on with them, so i stick to a good sponge and a bucket of water...

those of you that do use them, i found it seemed to over wet the floor makeing the grout dry patchy....any thoughts?
If the washboy sponges are still holding the water,after rinsing place them upright on their end.The remaining water in the sponge will run to one end and be squeezed out by pressing on the rollers or by flinging the excess water out onto some waste ground.Much easier to do tho if you have more than one sponge.

S

Stef

The only problem with the Karl Dahn each side of the rollers should have a small lip to guide the water back into the bucket, the water drips onto the floor every time you rinse the sponge out.

I have been using my Karl Dahm washboy for years & I've never had this problem. A small bit of water over the front if you don't tilt the sponge upwards on the rollers but that's about it.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
I strike joints and get any excess grout up with a bucket and sponge, then go over it with my washboy.
Found this to be the quickest for me. Always had a washboy but stopped using it for some reason, tried it again and was amazed at how much quicker it was.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I've had a Karl Dahm for the last 7 years. I see a washboy as an essential, must have piece of kit. Certainly stops your hands going all wrinkly.

The secret to using one and getting a good finish is all in the sponge. Never use brand new floats. A new sponge wether on the float board or a plain normal hand sponge retains a lot of water. With a normal sponge you can twist and wring the water out. The washboy floats you can't.
Anytime i buy a new sponge i put it through the washboy at the same time as the one i'm using. But it doesn't get used on the wall. When it's damp i rough it up a bit on the floor to wear it in a little. If it makes sense you need to use them for a bit without using them to wear them in a bit. They work lovely once you get the sponge not, excuse the pun, "soaking up like a sponge"

Reply to Would a washboy be a waste of money?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.