UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Would a washboy be a waste of money?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I used a new sponge this week actually and thought i'd try a way to get a nice finish and not leave loads of water over the wall and grout. I got a really good result by following up with a window squeedgy (spelling??) and a damp sponge. I did the following:

Used the washboy sponge as normal, but shook it out a few times before each use to get as much water out as possible.
After removing as much excess grout as possible, using a circlular motion to avoid dragging or leaving too much water in the grout line. (i.e a 45 degree angle across each line)
Went over with the squeedgy, again passing over the joints at 45 degrees.
Then using a damp sponge mop down the last residue, and gentle profile the grout line as well.

Mistakenly rushed out and bought a rubi washboy soon after finishing my tiling course 2 yrs ago. Used a karl dahm one on the course, and I can't wait till my rubi one finally gets retired.

Still, I always have 2 or 3 grout floats for different shades, and only use segmented sponges. Trick is to try and get as much water out of the sponge,

Have used on walls and floors, but will chop and change between a bucket/sponge and the washboy or even both depending on the job. Nice to have the bucket of fresh water on hand anyway.

Started to try out the little detail sponges from tradetiler and they worked a treat for edges and getting in behind things like exisiting pipework. The sponge soon came off, so I plan on ordering a replacement.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Would a washboy be a waste of money?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.