Discuss Would you decouple?? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

padtheplumber

TF
Esteemed
redditch
Hi guys,

Just after a bit of advice on a job I've just started.

Upstairs bathroom, new joists to be fitted, chipboard floor over this and I've got to install electric underfloor heating with a 300 x 300 travertine tile over the top, 7sq metres. Doesn't look a great quality tile, few holes in the back, but I back skim floor tiles anyway.

My plan at the moment is to fit 10mm marmox over the chipboard, then UFH, self level then tile, but cant make my mind up whether I need to decouple over the UFH?

It one of those jobs where the customer has told me on day 1 of the job they would now like UFH so the quote is changing so not a problem to use it if its needed.

So do you think 10mm marmox or 6mm and is the decoupler neccersary?

Thanks in advance,

Mart.
:thumbsup:

padtheplumber

TF
Esteemed
redditch
Thanks both, i dont do much ufh but i thought that id need the decoupler.
Started the job today, lifted a couple of floorboards and found completley rotten joists underneath.
After a bit of disscussion it was floor up, kitchen ceiling down and new joists going in.
Unfortunate, but at least i should have a great floor to start from!
Thanks again
Mart.
:thumbsup:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
What were you looking for - a secret stash!

A bloke I know who installs expensive fitted wardrobes once found £18k in a plastic bag that had gone down behind some wardrobes he was removing. The owner just thanked him and said he wondered where that had gone!!! Didn't even drop him a tenner for a drink.

W

White Room

A bloke I know who installs expensive fitted wardrobes once found £18k in a plastic bag that had gone down behind some wardrobes he was removing. The owner just thanked him and said he wondered where that had gone!!! Didn't even drop him a tenner for a drink.

I'd have been climbing the walls if I had thought I'd lost that amount of money:yikes:

T

Time's Ran Out

I really do know the feeling!
3 tossers took me for 18k in 1992 and it took me 2 years to pay it off.
The joys of being self employed and the risks you take sub contracting.

T

Time's Ran Out

Theres a whole new thread here! 18k, must have nearly ruined you.

If it hadn't been for the 2 lads who started Ctd in 1980 and supported me in the 1990's, I wouldn't be able to be here enjoying my trade now!
Can't imagine a big conglomerate that it is today would be there for me now but my alliegence is still there for them.
My only advice to anyone would be never take credit, even monthly accounts, and pay for everything as you need it. Never be afraid to sit in the reception of a company who owe you money until its paid, and remember its your money that they have!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Would you decouple?? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, hoping for some advice.... Had a anhydrite screed laid early Feb. Looking at laying 20mm...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've just had the whole ground floor of a house we are working on levelled with a pump in liquid...
Replies
Views
Bishbbashbosh
B
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB