Discuss Would you take this on, or walk away? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Over twelve months ago I went to look at this job, 200m2 of 600x600 porcelain. The whole floor had failed, within six months. The screed was Gyvlon Anhydrite, 50mm over wet ufh, the screed had been down four weeks when the tiling commenced. There is some confusion as to whether the screed had been commissioned before or after tiling.

I have read the report that Mapei technical submitted to the potential client, it states that the Keraquick adhesive used was still wet, suggesting the screed was not dry when the tiling took place, also they state that the tiles came off the screed leaving adhesive on the back of the tile plus a white residue that was thought to be laitance. Again suggesting the floor had not been abraded prior to tiling, there is also a whisper that PVA had been used as a primer.

My dilemma is this, the guy who laid the floor has cleaned up and re-laid approx 150m2 leaving 50m2 to clean up and lay, I don't know why but it seems he has spat the dummy. I have no idea what the story is here, but I have been asked to submit a price to finish the job, which entails grouting the 150m2 he has re-fixed and clean up and lay the remaining 50m2.

I am reluctant to take on this job, the main worry is that in the whole of the 200m2 there is only one expansion joint, this is in a door threshold, even worse the grout will be epoxy, the potential client assures me that the tiles laid by the other tiler are sound. But if I grout with epoxy there will be no give in the joints at all.

If I take on this job it will become my job, what would you guys/gals do? and what would you price?. Cheers folks any input would be welcome.:mad2:

I

Ian

It's a iffy one Phil, I never like finishing other people's work. I suppose if it was on sand and cement it would be fine, anhydrite is a really difficult subject with so many varying factors, if you know how the prep has been done how the other tiles have been fixed, then maybe you could do it confidently. If there is even 1% of doubt in your mind about any aspect of the job, don't do it.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
As Andy says it depends how much you need the work Phil. It sounds like it's littered with potential problems such as the lack of expansion which as you say will be made worse by using epoxy. Regardless of what you tell the customer and any disclaimers you try and make, you can guarantee it's you as the last tiler on the job that they will try and blame if it goes wrong!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
With all the factors involved here Phil my only advice would be to pass on this one. I'm afraid if something does go wrong with the re-work not done by yourself, then it will become your problem and your phone that will be ringing. Even if you are struggling for work, you take this on, get paid, and it goes wrong, potentially it could cost you more than it's paid you.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I guess it depends on how much you need the work. If you are desperate the advice is available to assist you. Realistically though if you finish it correctly for the last 50m2 and the other lot is not done correctly you could easily end up embroiled in a messy argument with the other tiler blaming you for any problems. On the face of it I think it looks like the original tiler has not done his job properly and the builder/client has not done their bit properly. Information has not been properly exchanged.

maximum bay simple spot anhydrite heated screeds is 300m2 but there are caveats that say heated screeds should be jointed across all door thresholds and between independently controlled heating zones and where heated meets unheated. Aspect ratio should be no more than 6:1 and additional joints should be considered in areas of high thermal gain e.g. Conservatories or glass walled rooms.

You also presumably have no firm guarantee that the screed has been properly dried and moisture trapped by the other guys tiles could also affect yours

Were it me, I would be more tempted to walk away than do this one.

P

Pebbs

Phil, everyone has said everything that needs to be said, you know that there need to be more expansion joints and you could encounter a multitude of other problems along the way. I have a theory, that you are never remembered and thanked for the good work you do, you only get remembered for the bad jobs, even if it no fault of your own.

You seriously want to be stressing over this?

Life is to short for headaches, and this could be a migraine in the making.

Do the right thing politely decline.

Lynn

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Phil, everyone has said everything that needs to be said, you know that there need to be more expansion joints and you could encounter a multitude of other problems along the way. I have a theory, that you are never remembered and thanked for the good work you do, you only get remembered for the bad jobs, even if it no fault of your own.

You seriously want to be stressing over this?

Life is to short for headaches, and this could be a migraine in the making.

Do the right thing politely decline.

Lynn

It is a well known statistic in the customer services industry that if you have a good experience with a supplier you will tell between 5 and 7 people. If you have a bad experience you will tell between 17 and 25 people..... We humans are a negative sort generally and apparently love a good old moan.....

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Would you take this on, or walk away? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
hello new here but wished i had found and asked before screed and ufh down but here goes. We...
Replies
Views
Unfortunately the tiler did not follow the manufactures instructions for mixing up the two part...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Got a kitchen floor to do and it consists of a concrete floor which then meets a timber floor...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB