Discuss xmas hospital visiting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hope your dad does well, as said. But I tell you what, that's one of the nicest things I've heard about for ages. Not that nice things don't happen, you just never hear of them. We have a Dougy Mac Hospice near us and it's a bit of a thing now where locals go and visit during the whole festive period. The nurses swear they have nearly no deaths (as horrible as it sounds - I just read that back) during that period. I think people really do hold on a bit longer when they have something to hold on for.

I'm sure you're doing more good than you could even imagine by showing them people really do give a damn these days. Society has only gotten worse for the type of people that are old now, in 'their days' they'd be able to leave the front door unlocked while they went out shopping, and if somebody entered the property, it would be a neighbour letting the cat out or something, and nowt would be said about it.

Got my next door neighbour in hospital now and he's been there for a couple of months. He was verging on dementia and wasn't doing well living on his own. I used to make a point of doing the garden when he did and you could really tell he appreciated it as he'd sing, his grandaughter who lives only 5 doors down was never around there (I think when we moved in we gave her a much needed break as he'd knock on ours 3 times a day sometimes to help him do something - which I never mined being working from home alone it wasn't bad company to be honest lol) said he'd never sung before.

I might just go and visit him now, I think we'd both benefit from it. Hopefully he'll remember me, as he never remembered my name lol

U

user123

Gary, that is lovely. It will mean so much to the patients, all emotions are so much more intense over Christmas, and many feel lonely and miserable. A few years back my oldest ever T'ai Chi student, aged 83, was in hospital and Howard and I felt the same after we saw him, that we should do something, so we arranged with the ward sister to do a T'ai Chi demo with really nice music, for 30 minutes or so, you could have heard a pin drop and then it was silent for ages and then there was applause from all these beds that seemed to go on forever. The thing is, we forgot most of the faces of the patients we didn't know, but they remembered us, and everynow and then it still happens, that someone remembers us and that day, and they all said it was such a lovely thing to happen, they'll never forget it.
Also in Scarborough, no idea if that is the same anywhere else, there is a huge Christmas tree in the Shopping Centre, the Brunswick Pavillion, and it's the giving tree, where people leave presents which are then distributed int he best way to people in need in Scarborough, a great idea, and it shows it doesn't take that much to do something nice.

My own Dad is likely to die within the next few days, it is expected and the waiting game a horrible time for all concerned, so all I can say from the bottom of my heart to anyone else's ill parents - get well soon.

Reply to xmas hospital visiting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello! I am new here but I have been reading a lot about manual tile cutters on the forum. I am...
Replies
Views
L
GRRRR. Friend of a friend has been pestering me to tile their house. Whole downstairs floor...
Replies
Views
Unused Account 1
U
T
So.... Signed up to the forum, looked at loads of threads (found the one about poor workmanship...
Replies
Views
A
Hi guys hoping someone could advise me as to what needs doing on a job i am on. Its a long...
Replies
Views
AKOTiler
A
D
Hi, Been lurking around the forum for the last couple of days and began to feel a bit...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
xmas hospital visiting
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.