UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss XXXL Format Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Pudding & Pie

Quick question re: Xtra Lge format tiles..

I'm on a project with multiple baths & shower ensuites - just finished the cloakroom in Lge (600x300) porcelain tiles & 900x100 pencils - pls'd with the results & felt comfortable handling the format..

Moving onto the main bath now & the ante's been upped..! I'll now be working with 900x450's & frankly, I'm a little nervous about the size increase!

You guys got any Top Tips when it comes to handling the xtra bulk & size..? They're being delivered t'moro & things are starting to twitch a bit!!!

Thanks - P&P

Andrew

TF
surrey
hi mate,
i recently fixed a 80m floor in 1200 x 1200 porcelain, so long as your prep is good and the tiles are of a decent quality(flat) ! substrate is sufficient, adhesive is correct and set out carefully! you will be fine
i was a little apprehensive with this format,but once your first tile is down and level its lovely 4 tiles 5m2, 80m was down in 2 days! and now 60 x 60 seem easy and somewhat small, youll breeze it sleep well give it no more thought till your on it! good luck

B

borgie

I have done a lot of work with the 3mx1mx3.5mm thick tiles. you cut them with a glass cutter and snap them between your thumbs just like the old 6x6 inch whites. easy when you know how :thumbsup:. I have been trained by the Italian manufacturer, LAMINAM - The largest and thinnest ceramic slab ever seen, 3mx1mx3mm, floors and walls, who patented the machinery, that all companies are using to produce these tiles. Even H n R Johnsons are doing them now. maybe they are going to be the next big thing? Can be expensive if your working with this format and are treating it like an ordinary tile. They retail around £180 a sheet!

R

Rich

Are these going on the walls or the floors? As has been said, the prep is crucial and if you are laying them on the floor then i would recommend a full contact adhesive (like pourable thick bed) to make it easier to get 100% coverage and save time on back buttering. Also the correct trowel will be important.

If they are going on the walls then be aware of the max holding weight of the wall.

P

Pudding & Pie

Brilliant, guys - Thanks! I feel more assured now..! Somewhat!!! LOL!

They're going on throughout, floor (22mm of Tilesafe tanked ply, onto Impey Aquadec - all well secured) & walls (Aquapanel - with an extra peppering of their recommended ceramic coated screws!)

All advice gratefully considered.. ..all should go well - certainly will make impressive coverage in short time!

One more Q, if you don't mind.. I've a Dewalt D24000 table saw - which has served me extremely well upto the 600x300 format & a little edge-of-the-seat success with 700 & 900 pencils cut length-wise.. but then one pencil won't break the bank!

I'm a bit wary of flipping these puppies! Thinking of hiring in a fixed rail No. for the job. Your views / experiences on any particular make / model, again, greatly appreciated!

Cheers

P

Pudding & Pie

Are these going on the walls or the floors? As has been said, the prep is crucial and if you are laying them on the floor then i would recommend a full contact adhesive (like pourable thick bed) to make it easier to get 100% coverage and save time on back buttering. Also the correct trowel will be important.

If they are going on the walls then be aware of the max holding weight of the wall.

Liking the sound of the full coverage pourable - any compatibility issues with heat mats? A flexible pourable would certainly minimise any potential air pocketing??

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Tiles are getting bigger for sure and we need to move with the times but dont be scared as all tiling basics apply to any size tile get the substrates right and you will find the tiling goes right

Spot on Gary, we can go larger or smaller, but tiling is about working plumb, level, and line- able, square, parallel etc, the same with geometrics, some people get a bit nervous about their first victorian job, but the principle is exactly the same. Good tilers can cope with anything:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to XXXL Format Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
R
Hi in advance...... I'm a bit new to the tiling game and just looking for some pointers...
Replies
Views
Regency
R
D
Something you may not have realised that here at 365drills we also provide a tile drilling...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
T
Choosing Tiles Ceramic tiles are the most commonly used because they are functional and...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.