Discuss Tilers Tiling And Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mikethetile

theres a lot of work gone into the above posts

well done mate

i hate to to be picky

is 9mm ply enough to take the flex out of a wooden floor, would reccomending plastic ply to newbies be better

overlaying with ply was the best system available but if better products are developed specificaly for a job

wouldnt we be better to promote this

i have noticed a marked increase in ply prices over the last few years

coupled with a marked drop in quality of the ply

far eastern ply is compressing when screwed, not a small area where you drive the screw under the surface but saucer sized indents where the inner laminate is compressing under the stronger outer laminate

also voids in the inner laminates,

when you drive screws in you feel the difference , its like screwing plasterboard now

too heavy on the trigger and your through to the bottom laminate

this ply is unsuitable for overlaying floors as its likely to compress under the weight

this ply is turning up everywhere as decent ply is in short supply and very expensive

anyone who cant spot the difference could be storing up trouble for the future

i would reccomend not using ply for overboarding

C

Colour Republic

Some good points mates, This has been brought up a few times now not least by Dave in fact and i happen to agree. Timber is one of those materials that you cannot be sure where it came from, it's not like buying a branded product which you can know and trust, it comes from all over the world and the only way of telling is by have links to a local timber supplier who knows where his stock comes from rather than a national who may but from hundreds of sources. Ply isn't the problem it's the supply of good ply that is, as you say:thumbsup:

Reply to Tilers Tiling And Tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Need to choose a grout for the above. For the black floor tiles 300x600 am thinking either...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tilers Tiling And Tiles
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.