Discuss You Tube in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Because you have to take into account every single tile that is going to be cut, and what size it will be, and whether it will look appealing. And you can only do this using a datum line which then would give you the tile set out (after usually quite a bit of adjustment) which then you can go to the bottom full row of tiles and fix to the walls LEVEL. And then the unlevel floor will have a cut tile going to it so it looks appealing. Rather than a full tile at one end and then perhaps a gap under it at the other as the fall runs out of level.

You'd use a 'gauge staff' or 'gauge rod' or even a 'yard stick' as the brick layers amongst us would call it, to achieve the tile setout using lines on the wall you draw with a pencil, rather than just going for it with the tiles and ending up with poor looking cuts in eye level places etc.

P

Perfect Tiling

Another reason for using a batten is so that you can tile all the walls before the floor. Put the batten on the wall allowing for a cut tile down to the floor and tile up from it to the finished level. Then tile the floor allowing an expansion gap at the walls, Finally cut tiles and complete tiling down to the floor to let the wall tiles sit on the floor tiles. Doing it this way means you have less chance of dropping a wall tile onto the floor tiles causing damage and you wont be working on your new floor with tools, steps etc possibly causing damage, especially with softer tiles.

Reply to You Tube in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
PVA V PRIMERS – WHy you should never use PVA Glue when Wall Tiling Don’t listen to that idiot...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Morning all. Dan asked me to post up a thread about our training centre which he can then use...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, Hope everyone is well. I'm after some advice please. I'm currently having my bathroom tiled...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
You Tube
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.