UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Your thoughts on splitting silicone... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

There could be a contaminent in the actual production of the bath and tray.Are they the same make??

This is what i was wondering, I dont know. I am going to have a word with the plumber tomorrow and find out if they are in anyway different to the norm. It just seems really odd that every joint in the room (there are a lot) is fine but the tray and bath joints have not taken... Strange.

Hmm. love questions like this... the other obvious repellent (there is a better word for it I can't think of right now, something beginning with 'r', but anyhow, to silicone is oil. Plastics are petroleum oil products...with I would assume with varying degrees of oil content? Are bath and tray plastic, Rich?

T

tfs

I came across this a while back and in some rare cases sanitryware need to be primed prior to sseling with a sealant.

The experience I had required the sanitryware to be sealed with Mapei's Primer fd before resealing the area with mapisil ac

I think some types of resins in certain baths and trays can be problematic in terms of getting a good bond.

To the best of my knowledge the primer fd is rather rare and had to be ordered from Italy or Poland.

hope this helps

R

Rich

Thank you all for your help. The walls are plaster, the bath and tray have not been cleaned with anything and the silicone is in date. I went back last night, removed the ultra silicone and replaced with Mapei but Im not convinced that it will hold. It seems to me that tfs and Mosaic girl are on the right tracks, I had thought about a primer but on the tube of silicone they say that you need to prime with the FD on porous surfaces. Now I have used Mapei, I will be on the phone to them to see what the best plan of attack is. Thank you again all, I will keep you informed.

GO TF!! :thumbsup:

S

SJPurdy

I have this year had this problem on a few baths. The silicone i was using adhered to the tiles but pulled away from the bath. I tested two batches of this brand in white, and clear against every old scrap of part tube of other brands i could find in my garage; by applying a bead of each to a clean glazed tile. When set i found that some brands were firmly adhered to the tile and needed cutting off to remove them others were well adhered but could be pulled off; but the brand i had been recently using could be easily pulled off clean!
I have now gone back to more reliable brands and used up all my tubes of Ultra for filling air gaps around insulation panels in my loft.
Steve

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Your thoughts on splitting silicone... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi I’m just about to renovate small bathroom and replace bath with shower. We have very hard...
Replies
Views
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Your thoughts on splitting silicone...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.