Search the forum,

Discuss asphalt substrate! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

V

vosnack

I'm about to tile in the extension where concrete base level was between 1 to 2 inches lower than the house floor. In order to level the floors the owner ordered asphalt floor to be laid down on top of sand packing. The asphalt is probably around 20mm thick. The floor seems solid. Can I tile on it? If yes how to tackle it?

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
at 20mm deep I would think you need to be wary. You can tile into Asphalt but you would probably need to overlay it first. There are a few options for this. You could use a gypsum based levelling compound. You could use a cement SBR slurry or you could use an epoxy sealer. Most people I know who have done this (not that many to be fair as it is not a common domestic substrate) have gone for the SBR cement slurry option. I would also use an uncoupling membrane to be on the safe side and to prevent any possibility of migration of the bitumenous oils which could stain your tiles long term

Others may have other options availbe

V

vosnack

Is that kind of structure solid enough though? As they've put some sand beneath the asphalt.

D

DHTiling

The sand is basicly an uncoupler.. i would have liked it to be a thicker pour than you have but if sound then it should be fine.

V

vosnack

They've also put membrane on top of the sand. Don't know what kind of membrane it is and what is it for, but probably is there for good reason. So what kind of levelling compound? Is there flexi one? The price range is quite huge. And what kind of adhesive? SPF?

V

vosnack

Oh. And also regarding cement SBR slurry? What is it and is it difficult to do? Thanks

V

vosnack

So it does seem straight forward. Do I use SPF on top of that slurry? And also any views on levelling compounds? Thanks in advance

Reply to asphalt substrate! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen