Search the forum,

Discuss Advice needed for mosaic splash backs in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi,

I'm looking for some tips on installing mosaic sheets, they are going to be installed in a kitchen as spashbacks. I'm looking for advice on planning and how to cut them in around sockets. Also how to get them flat to the wall without them dipping and bowing out. I think they are glass material but will update when I seen them as I'm installing them for my son,

Regards Rob

M

MTiler

Just use a decent white cement based adhesive (do not use a rapid set) and they shouldnt slump, if you find they are then just cut the sheets in half. When going around sockets etc just cut sheets into sections, no need to struggle with a whole sheet. The wall needs to be completely flat you cant use adhesive to pack them out as youll only be using a small trowel and itll get messy. Trowel size will depend on size and thickness of mosaics. 3 or 4mm are common sizes.
Backer sheets arent worth the hassle, the adhesive will need to go though the mesh and make contact with he mosaics.
Use a grout float to pat the mosaics flat.

Sharon

These are the mosaics glass and stone.

IMG_0450.JPG

dynamictiling

TF
Esteemed
glasgow
These are the mosaics glass and stone.

View attachment 91749

I have used these before and I can confirm you are in for a headache...

Alot of the mosaics are stuck on squint, slightly different sizes. I ended up sticking them on and going back with a Stanley knife to cut and fix the worst offenders. Best of luck.

G

Giuseppe Maffei

it depends on which kind of edge finishing are you looking for. If the cut will be exposed I recommend a specific blade (that is slow) but is capable to give you factory edge on Porcelain, glass, stones and even metal mosaic. The blade is our Montolit CPF Perfetto. If the cut won't be exposed, Montolit Masterpiuma or Minipiuma + rubber Mat item 58 will work. You'll need a nipper to cut the stone pcs

G

Giuseppe Maffei

it depends on which kind of edge finishing are you looking for. If the cut will be exposed I recommend a specific blade (that is slow) but is capable to give you factory edge on Porcelain, glass, stones and even metal mosaic. The blade is our Montolit CPF Perfetto. If the cut won't be exposed, Montolit Masterpiuma or Minipiuma + rubber Mat item 58 will work. You'll need a nipper to cut the stone pcs

Reply to Advice needed for mosaic splash backs in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement