Search the forum,

Discuss Apprenticeship Advice in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MSB Tiling

Hi guys, I'm just looking for a bit of advice regarding an apprentice I'd like to employ.

Ive registered with CITB today, but his apprenticeship wont start till September.

Can I employ him now and pay apprentice wage or do I have to wait till September.

The CITB agent didnt know the answer.

S

Spud

You can employ him now you just need to write an official letter stating how you intend to employ him and how much you intend to pay him it will be actually beneficial as he will have some tiling experience and he can be then put on the nvq course my lad was brand new and therefore had to do a diploma course which meant I missed out on the apprenticeship funding even though he had a letter from me staying he was employed as an apprentice

R

Rossymcg

Registering with the citb is mistake number 1, they're a complete waste of time just like sending a lad to collage is,
now you'll have to do them a return every year and pay them 1.5% of what you pay yourself and you're employees, from payments made to you from customers not in the building trade, and then name the contractors you've worked for and how much they've paid you, so the citb can chase them up if they're not registered,
I used to have circa 30 men working for me and the house builders used to stop 1.5% frompayments to me, it mounts up big time if you're turning over a lot on labour only,

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Registering with the citb is mistake number 1, they're a complete waste of time just like sending a lad to collage is,
now you'll have to do them a return every year and pay them 1.5% of what you pay yourself and you're employees, from payments made to you from customers not in the building trade, and then name the contractors you've worked for and how much they've paid you, so the citb can chase them up if they're not registered,
I used to have circa 30 men working for me and the house builders used to stop 1.5% frompayments to me, it mounts up big time if you're turning over a lot on labour only,
If u earn over £80 grand a year you pay the levy.
If you don't, you fill in a form, get £400ish a quarter for 3 years(+ a cash bonus ) then at the end of 3 years you get about 3/4 grand cash sum .
So if your a one man band, its worth it ;)

T

Time's Ran Out

Never had a penny off anyone for any of the lads I've advised, including my son!
Citb is just more paperwork .

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ive filled in one form a year, got about 7 grand in 3 years off citb,it is a pain in the arse , and takes some backwards and forwarding but its worth it

Reply to Apprenticeship Advice in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen