Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom Prep Help - Skimmed Walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi All,

I have spent all day reading the forum but thought it best to ask the question direct for some feedback.

We have an ensuite in our new extension which we are tiling, however, the builder has skimmed the entire room and did so before I knew the weight limits on skimmed walls etc. Needless to say I am in a catch 22 at the moment and need some advice really.

2 of the 4 walls are stud walls, one is dot and dab plasterboard onto the original house wall and the 4th wall is insulated plasterboard, so a real mix!

I wanted to get peoples thoughts on the best solution as I have already bought porcelain tiles, which I know are over the 20Kg/m2 limit, but would it be cheaper to

A - Just buy new tiles that fall within the weight limit
B - Rip out the plasterboard and reboard (Hard to do with the insulated plasterboard wall and has to be insulated for building regs)
C - reboard with new plasterboard over the 3 walls using mechanical fixings (Which doesnt solve the problem with the insulated plasterboard??!)

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Nic

W

Waluigi

Stud walls will be easy enough to take down and replace with a Tile backer board. Or perhaps bare plasterboard. Or even overboard the existing skimmed plasterboard with new plasterboard and screw into the studs.

The insulated plasterboard actually might be Fine to overboard with a thin XPS board, glued and screwed but using some nylon hollow wall fixings. Something like the Fischer Duopower plugs. These should bite into the insulated plasterboard. You should already have at least two mechanical fixings on the insulated board for the Fire Regs. I’d try to pop a few more in.

Dot and dabbed wall again can be overboarded and screwed.

Whether you use an XPS board or plaster board You’ll need the Metal washers. If using the washers on plasterboard then it’s best to use a large spade bit to remove a small amount of the paper face and core so that the washer sits flush.

Stud walls will be easy enough to take down and replace with a Tile backer board. Or perhaps bare plasterboard. Or even overboard the existing skimmed plasterboard with new plasterboard and screw into the studs.

The insulated plasterboard actually might be Fine to overboard with a thin XPS board, glued and screwed but using some nylon hollow wall fixings. Something like the Fischer Duopower plugs. These should bite into the insulated plasterboard. You should already have at least two mechanical fixings on the insulated board for the Fire Regs. I’d try to pop a few more in.

Dot and dabbed wall again can be overboarded and screwed.

Whether you use an XPS board or plaster board You’ll need the Metal washers. If using the washers on plasterboard then it’s best to use a large spade bit to remove a small amount of the paper face and core so that the washer sits flush.

Thanks for the response, all makes sense. The insulated plasterboard has about a dozen mechanical fixings in it already so over boarding shouldn't be an issue the way you describe.

To be honest I am going to have to do the work myself and weighing up the time and new materials against the cost of new tiles is something I'll have to check out as although I already have tiles I could always shift them, got them on clearance at Wickes so didn't cost the earth!

Wish I'd read up about max weights before he plastered but you win some and lose some I guess. I would have thought a builder should know these things, but maybe that's expecting too much!!

You certainly win this century's prize for optimism! ;)
It does amaze me that some trades don't consider the other, life would be so much easier and in this instance cheaper too.

Not sure what's wound me up more, the time and material I have already paid for to have it skimmed or the fact I'm going to have to fix the issue myself!

O

One Day

It does amaze me that some trades don't consider the other, life would be so much easier and in this instance cheaper too.

Not sure what's wound me up more, the time and material I have already paid for to have it skimmed or the fact I'm going to have to fix the issue myself!

Me too. For years I've wondered why we don't have more inspection and sign-off before completing work ready for the next trade.
I've decided that the reason is that it would begin to eliminate the stupids and the world is run by stupids so that would never do!

Me too. For years I've wondered why we don't have more inspection and sign-off before completing work ready for the next trade.
I've decided that the reason is that it would begin to eliminate the stupids and the world is run by stupids so that would never do!

It would definitely get rid of the cowboys and the stupid and make customers happier, but that would be far too much to ask!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Hi, have you weighed the tiles ?
I bet you are not far off withthe weights, unless they are 20mm thick ?
The limits are a guideline , and ive searched the net and I cannot find anywhere in the known world a cat being killed by a tile falling off a newly skimmed plasterboard wall never mind a human .
Im more or less 100% sure every tiler has exceeded the limit at some point j, i have many a time ;)
Waligi probably hasn’t though, i bet he is one of those blokes who stands at the side of the road waving his hands and pointing angrily when you are driving 32 in a 30 zone :) :)

Change for a lighter weight tile you said you can sell on the porcelain ones on ? then it problem solved and alot less work . Kop

Thats what I am starting to think, everything is pretty much ready for tiling, so not sure its worth ripping out again and starting fresh for the sake of a few quid on new tiles! Cheers

Hi, have you weighed the tiles ?
I bet you are not far off withthe weights, unless they are 20mm thick ?
The limits are a guideline , and ive searched the net and I cannot find anywhere in the known world a cat being killed by a tile falling off a newly skimmed plasterboard wall never mind a human .
Im more or less 100% sure every tiler has exceeded the limit at some point j, i have many a time ;)
Waligi probably hasn’t though, i bet he is one of those blokes who stands at the side of the road waving his hands and pointing angrily when you are driving 32 in a 30 zone :) :)

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have weighed the tiles, just over 21kg/m2 for the tiles alone, chuck some addy and grout in and we at around 24 -25, which is why I am concerned.

I would agree that most tilers have gone over at some point ans that BS are probably way over cautious, much like most H&S rules! I we were at 21 including the addy and grout i'd have probably gone for it to be fair, but we have already spent double the original budget so if anything goes **** up in 6 months time i certainly wont have the money to sort it out and start again!!!

"ointing angrily when you are driving 32 in a 30 zone" - There's always one :D

Forgot to ask - in terms of prep, walls are obviously skimmed and need to be primed, no problem there, do I need to key the plaster for a better bond or is priming sufficient??

Any thoughts on the Ultra Pro Flex S2 Ahesive? I used it for the underfloor heating and have a couple of bags left over, the way I look at it is if its good enough for a swimming pool then it must be good enough for a shower?!?!? Also still have some of the Ultra grout left, also used in swimming pools! :)

W

Waluigi

Hi Mate,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have weighed the tiles, just over 21kg/m2 for the tiles alone, chuck some addy and grout in and we at around 24 -25, which is why I am concerned.

I would agree that most tilers have gone over at some point ans that BS are probably way over cautious, much like most H&S rules! I we were at 21 including the addy and grout i'd have probably gone for it to be fair, but we have already spent double the original budget so if anything goes **** up in 6 months time i certainly wont have the money to sort it out and start again!!!

Absolutely!

If you did exceed the weight limits and it failed then it would be irrelevant that a random username on the internet said it would be fine.

Absolutely!

If you did exceed the weight limits and it failed then it would be irrelevant that a random username on the internet said it would be fine.

Yip, dont see the insurance or trading standards being too interested when I say someone on a forum said it was ok so it must be true!! :D

Been having a look at options on tiles and new tiles is going to be around 300 quid, so I think it outweighs the labour and materials to start again!

Thanks again for the replies

D

Dumbo

Yip, dont see the insurance or trading standards being too interested when I say someone on a forum said it was ok so it must be true!! :D

Been having a look at options on tiles and new tiles is going to be around 300 quid, so I think it outweighs the labour and materials to start again!

Always remember insurance never payout if the day you submit claim on has a y in it .

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Absolutely!

Im not some random username on the net, i and id say thousands of others will stand by by saying 25kg will hold up for decades on skimmed plasterboard walls.
I would tile, as would thousands of others and stand by the customer and telk them it would be fine .
And Just because 5 or 6 random names tells someone not to do it on the net does not mean they ate right ;) .
Do a test, prime a bit, wack a tile on it, leave a few weeks and see how hard it is to get off ?
Now get back on them roads with your 30mph sign and high viz on you dwebe :D

W

Waluigi

No problem. I think you made the right choice. Good luck with sourcing the Tiles :thumbsup:

Im not some random username on the net, i and id say thousands of others will stand by by saying 25kg will hold up for decades on skimmed plasterboard walls.
I would tile, as would thousands of others and stand by the customer and telk them it would be fine .
And Just because 5 or 6 random names tells someone not to do it on the net does not mean they ate right ;) .
Do a test, prime a bit, wack a tile on it, leave a few weeks and see how hard it is to get off ?
Now get back on them roads with your 30mph sign and high viz on you dwebe :D

I am sure there are loads of people who would do it and you are probably right, it more than likely wouldnt go anywhere, I guess as someone who isnt in the trade as such it makes it a bit daunting when doing something like this and there is a risk of it failing in a few months/years...

I also agree fully that there is a LOT of scare mongering online from people who "Know Best" as they have read a text book or are up to date with Regs, but have probably never laid a tile/brick. In my books, experience is far more valuable than information gained from a book...

Ive got the wife breaking my chops to get it done, in fairness, she has been waiting about 8 months, so i think a few more weeks may end up with me in the kennel, or in the incomplete ensuite! ;)

In your opinion, you'd go for it, even though its around the 25Kg mark?

Any thoughts on the Ultra adhesive i'm looking at using?

Thanks for the honest response as well, much appreciated :)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I am sure there are loads of people who would do it and you are probably right, it more than likely wouldnt go anywhere, I guess as someone who isnt in the trade as such it makes it a bit daunting when doing something like this and there is a risk of it failing in a few months/years...

I also agree fully that there is a LOT of scare mongering online from people who "Know Best" as they have read a text book or are up to date with Regs, but have probably never laid a tile/brick. In my books, experience is far more valuable than information gained from a book...

Ive got the wife breaking my chops to get it done, in fairness, she has been waiting about 8 months, so i think a few more weeks may end up with me in the kennel, or in the incomplete ensuite! ;)

In your opinion, you'd go for it, even though its around the 25Kg mark?

Any thoughts on the Ultra adhesive i'm looking at using?

Thanks for the honest response as well, much appreciated :)
Not a problem nic, you need to do what you want , its your house not mine and you’re the customer :)
As for ultra ive no idea,neverused it, but if its a s1 its fine for walls.
Edit, its a s2, no problem on walls

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Uk
Sad, unfortunately there's no control over these people somebody pointed out on another chat that you can buy a trowel & a bucket of adhesive and start up a business & carry on in the trowel trades eg tiling , plastering because these people think along the lines of how hard can it be to put one tile on top of another. The average Joe's out there can't do that if they had to do gas or electric because of the lives they could put at risk so there is were the problem lays

D

Dumbo

Sad, unfortunately there's no control over these people somebody pointed out on another chat that you can buy a trowel & a bucket of adhesive and start up a business & carry on in the trowel trades eg tiling , plastering because these people think along the lines of how hard can it be to put one tile on top of another. The average Joe's out there can't do that if they had to do gas or electric because of the lives they could put at risk so there is were the problem lays
Funny thing is the person who said that isn't a tiler so is doing exactly what he is being critical about .

Reply to Bathroom Prep Help - Skimmed Walls in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement