Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom Wall Tiles onto Lath & Plaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

leblanc

Hello this is my first post.

I need to tile over a new bath which will also have a thermostatic bath mixer tap with shower screen.

The walls have existing tiles, but in removing them the old lath and plaster walls are being damaged and crumbling in places. I suspect that this was because the original tiles were put directly onto the old plaster without tiling.

The new tiled area will be exposed to water when using the thermostatic bath mixer.

Should I tile over existing tiles on the larger wall to avoid further damage to the lath and plaster?

Should I simply repair the walls then prime with an acrylic primer then tile?

I thought of marine ply or aquaboard on top of the old lath and plaster, but I don't want to bring the wall out too much as it will be noticeable at the edges.

What would you advise?

I am also thinking of tiling over a ply bath panel. How should I go about this?

Thanks in advance.

V

versatilene

You don't need marine ply, it's overkill, expensive and thick modern construction boards are better, go for marmox, aquapanel or any of the others you can get a good waterproof rigid layer down to as little as 6mm thick and easy to fix.
As to the bath panel, prime it and tile normaly but make sure both the wood and tiles have an expansion space all around the circumference that you fill with silicone, it only needs a few mm (in other words no tight force fits) as the bath 'moves' with water weight and hot/cold expansion. use a good flexi adhesive and grout

D

DHTiling

Remove the old tiles and if the laths are still intact then re-skim the walls with bonding coat, leave to dry and over skim with finish..it means you have to leave the walls longer to dry but just a way of avoiding building the walls out with backer boards......if you pm devon mark a member on the forums he is a plasterer he might know of a faster method to patch up the laths with...........dave..

NickH

TF
Reaction score
Its false economy to try and patch old lath and plaster walls, your far better to bite the bullet and rip it all off and reboard with new plasterboard/aquapanel.

Reply to Bathroom Wall Tiles onto Lath & Plaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen