Search the forum,

Discuss Fine hairline cracks in grout - advice please in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Shishi

-
Reaction score
Hiya,

Just looking for a bit of advice. We had the area around our bath retiled 6 months ago and have recently noticed some hairline cracks in the grout. Haven’t found any images online with similar cracks.

It’s only on a few tiles but naturally I am worried that there is an issue with the installation. I’ve been in touch with the fitter but no response as of yet.

Please see attached images. Do you think this is common? What could possibly be the reason (no hollow sounds when we tap the tiles)? Could it be overlapping grout that makes it appear cracked?

Thanks in advance for the help.
1BD039FD-AB6C-41EE-BC01-2D9436E63F66.jpeg
79BE24A5-DB4C-4023-B3ED-C513BA582874.jpeg
C29763DE-6DB7-4C4E-9831-165D3B641E9A.jpeg

D

Deleted member 54066

Could be so, so many reasons
I need a lot more info to help.
What is the substrate?
What adhesive was used?
What grout was used?

Shishi

-
Reaction score
Hiya,

Thanks for your reply.

The substrate is bonding which he added cement to which he said makes it dry quicker.

Mapei rapid set tub adhesive was used and bostik j100 smooth finish grout.

The original job was to take previous bonding off and aquapanel but he took a third of it off and said it was stuck on and taking the rest would damage the brick underneath which is why he bonded.

D

Deleted member 54066

Can't tile to bonding, there's your problem. don't know the adhesive sorry

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Doesn't look like cracks to me, just looks like how it's been washed down. Slightly uneven

Shishi

-
Reaction score
Doesn't look like cracks to me, just looks like how it's been washed down. Slightly uneven
Hi Tony,

We did think it might be some over lapping but I’m noticing more at time goes on.

Do you think it is the same issue with the below picture?
ECD66607-6645-425C-890D-5FD4C091BA66.jpeg

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
From that image it still looks the same. Try sanding it back a little if you have some fine sand paper

Reply to Fine hairline cracks in grout - advice please in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen