Search the forum,

Discuss Hairline cracks in terracotta tiles that is seeping some sort of dark brown oil in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

kruno

-
Reaction score
Guy,

I am not involved in this business at all, so I would appreciate any help or advice pls. I have noticed very recently that hairline cracks in my kitchen floor have started to seep a dark brown, sticky oil. There has been no spillages, so it is a complete mystery. The tile isn't lifting - I'm wondering if the chipboard has somehow started to rot - having googled it I've found that chipboard is made with linseed oil - obviously I need to stop this as we are treading oil into other rooms - many thanks in anticipation for your help in this matter -
Cheers

John

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
I'd be more worried about the cracks and that it was tiled on to chipboard.

I can't help with the oil situation though, do you have any images?

kruno

-
Reaction score
Hi Tony, I say chipboard, but I'm guessing tbh - the floor was laid 12 - 15 years ago and we have never had a problem - there is no movement in our area and the tiles are lifting - the cracks I think are probably wear and tear - I've attached pictures showing the oil
Cheers for your help - much appreciated.

3C38CA45-B671-4009-8F7A-921F473E758B.jpeg

8D3DD4BB-D548-4E7D-8979-44257C440F84.jpeg

B6910C4C-A76B-4375-B8F7-9E4755917A68.jpeg

[automerge]1569141796[/automerge]
Tiles aren't lifting

D

Dumbo

Your floor is failing you jave lots of cracked grout. Do you have an oil fired boiler . Ie do you have a leaky pipe .
If not I'm suspecting a water leak as this moisture oil or oily water has to come from somewhere

kruno

-
Reaction score
No oil fired boiler - there is no obvious water leak, it's only coming trough the cracks in the tiles - it's not coming through cracks in the grout - I'm assuming if there is a water leak it would come through all the cracks - not just the tile -

D

Dumbo

You're tiles look like terracotta coloured ceramics .
There is no moisture in your tiles .
There shouldn't be any moisture in your subfloor . You have something going on .
Go into a builders merchant and feel some chipboard and feel some ply , it is dry , moisture is being generated . Unless it's your washing water coming back up through .

kruno

-
Reaction score
I've had another good look at the grout - looks like that is wet as well - must have a leak - I suppose the only way to resolve it is to take the floor up - really appreciate your help guys - thank you

Reply to Hairline cracks in terracotta tiles that is seeping some sort of dark brown oil in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen