Search the forum,

Discuss Micro-cracks in new Self Leveling Compound in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

UK Tiling Advice Thread
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you can't even feel with a fingernail. Am I okay to proceed in laying my Ditra or should I rip the SLC up and go again?

Here's the process so far:
  • Cleaned the existing concrete and previously (badly) leveled floor extensively
  • Primed with an acrylic primer from CTD as recommended by them. I applied a 3:1 coat followed by a 1:1 coat as instructed.
  • Mechanically mixed the 1210 with the correct amount of water using a measuring jug and poured from 1mm to 6mm thick in places.
  • Left to dry for 36 hours
  • Then noticed a very thin layer of fine white powder, after sweeping at it I then noticed these very fine cracks running throughout a good majority of the ~11m2 floor in seemingly random directions (i.e not from a particular corner of the room).
Here's what I've tested so far:
  • Unable to feel the cracks, which so far do not appear to be expanding (although it's only been 3 days)
  • Tapping with a hammer and dropping a golf ball on the floor does not sound hollow
  • Walking on the SLC does not produce more cracks
  • The SLC appears well bonded and does not chip
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• slc.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Hi. 1: was it a warm day ? As in sunny.
2: is it levelled up tight to skirtings ?
3: you mentioned a dusty finish, you deffo didn’t add too much water.
Hi!
1: It wasn't particularly warm and we waited until the sun wasn't on the conservatory
2: In some places yes but the cracks are predominately in the middle
3: I'm confident I didn't, the bag said 3.8-4 liters and I used closer to 4

Cheers!

Reply to Micro-cracks in new Self Leveling Compound in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen