Search the forum,

Discuss Not Sure How You Guys Do This Every Day in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Marvo

Today was day 1 of my downstairs bathroom renovation.

• Remove accessories like towel rail, shelves, mirror, panel heater, toilet roll sculpture etc.
  • Remove basin, cistern and toilet and bath.
  • Drain plumbing, disconnect redundant pipes and cap open pipes, make wiring safe.
  • Break down brick surround that supported the bath with a jack hammer and break up & remove half a cube of concrete that the bottom of the bath rested on.
  • Chisel open external wall and remove several drain pipes.
  • Remove wall tiles with jack hammer.
  • Remove floor tiles with jack hammer.
  • Carefully remove the old adhesive from the walls and floor back to original plaster level using SDS drill in chipper mode.
  • Collapse in a heap on the couch.
  • Persuade wifey to assist in removing shoes and helping with the hobble to the upstairs shower to get clean.

M

Marvo

Day 2.....sigh...

• Trip to the local rubbish dump to get rid of yesterdays rubble.
  • Purchase band aids, Tramedol, kneepads and gloves (and a sausage & egg McMuffin) on the way back home.
  • Measure, layout and mark all locations for shower drain, shower taps and plumbing, basin taps and plumbing, glass shower screen etc.
  • Excavate through the screed and into slab to allow 800mm Wirquin shower drain pan to be positioned.
  • Chase 50mm shower drain into floor and open wall to allow it to drain into external gulley.
  • Carefully plane gradual slope towards drain pan into shower floor using jackhammer.
  • Cut back plaster and brickwork around window to prevent finished tile level covering the entire wooden window frame.
  • Chase walls for plumbing pipes.
  • Smooth all walls and floor with a diamond cup-wheel disk to remove high spots.
  • Early finish.

M

Marvo

Day 3

• Cemented all the holes in the floor.
  • By 9.30am I'd had enough and decided to go fishing instead.
Lessons learned;
Fishing is far more pleasurable than building work.

10.jpg

4th from the left, even after several Tremadol I'm still aching so much I'm struggling to hold up the 88 kilo yellowfin tuna.

S

Spare Tool

Day 3

• Cemented all the holes in the floor.
  • By 9.30am I'd had enough and decided to go fishing instead.
Lessons learned;
Fishing is far more pleasurable than building work.

View attachment 102370

4th from the left, even after several Tremadol I'm still aching so much I'm struggling to hold up the 88 kilo yellowfin tuna.
200lb WOW... It looks like the guy on the lefts fish had a little argument with a shark on the way in?

M

Marvo

Day 4. A little more productive than day 3....which isn't saying much.

• Switch off water to house and drain pipework.
  • Get sidetracked by a previously undiscovered back-syphoning issue between the split water supplies feeding the house. (Most of the house is fed by borehole water, the kitchen only is fed by municipal water....or so I thought until I accidentally discovered otherwise this morning.)
  • Dry-fit basin and install 40mm drain pipework.
  • Make lightly seared sesame tuna steaks for lunch.
  • Reroute 22mm main plumbing feed to a more convenient route and tee in for basin and shower.
  • Install 15mm hot and cold pipes to below basin fit angle valves.
  • Install 15mm pipework for shower taps and cap-off for now.
  • Cement pipework chases where possible.
Lessons learned;
  1. I'm a painfully slow plumber.
  2. Anytime you really need some time without interuptions a customer is guaranteed to phone with an emergency that means you have to drop everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Marvo

I have a couple of questions if I may.

Firstly I can't decide if I should tile the floor first or the walls...

Second, where is the best place to start tiling for both the walls and the floor?

Lastly, and I realise this is probably a plumbing question rather than a tiling one, the new basin has knockouts for the taps. Do you just give them a whack with something to break them out or is there a more scientific way to ensure they fracture smoothly?

3.jpg

M

Marvo

The walls are white bevel-edged metros laid landscape orientation in brick formation. Can't remember the exact size off-hand but they look the normal size if that helps.

The floor is 50x50 porcelain mosaics which come as 6x6 sheets.

There's no borders or fancy schmansy dado rails, just stainless trims to go into the external corners around the door and window.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Uk
I tend to tile floors first then walls.

And knock out tap holes in ceramic with a thin nail punch and hammer, mine is around 2.5mm and start in centre to break through and work outwards to required size.

@Marvo you’ve just spoilt my Christmas. I’ve a new bathroom suite sitting in my summer house patiently waiting to be installed. I’ve been putting it off for months now but the evil dragon indoors has made me promise to get the bathroom done over the Christmas break. After reading this thread I’m realising what I’m in for. Think the worst bit might be the arguments over 1 bathroom being out of use. Even when both are in use I still seem to have to wait patiently whilst banging doors and pleading to get in before I make a mess.

M

Marvo

Lol, evening Stevie.

Yeah, I don't have the problem with fighting for bathroom time, there's 5 bathrooms in total so even with 2 of them out of action at the moment there's still enough to go around.

I've been getting it in the neck from wifey about the dust though. I started telling her on Tuesday evening that the worst was over, knowing damn well it was going to get ten times worse. Then I spent the next couple of days trying to convince her it was just her imagination and it wasn't getting worse but the static reached a crescendo on Thursday so I just jacked and went fishing for the day instead.

Sounds to me like you might need to learn to fish :D

M

Marvo

Day 5...or is it 6? Can't remember and I guess it depends if you include the day I went fishing.

I'm now wishing I'd never started, it's taking too long.... probably because I'm doing things I don't do very often so I'm painfully slow. Most of my cuts from day 1 have healed but now my knees and back are sore. I'm really not having fun anymore and I want it to be over.

Is it just me or do you guys also go through this emotional rollercoaster as you progress through your jobs?

Anyway, enough self-pity for now.

I finished the plumbing.
Plastering finished.
Waterproofing of shower area finished.
Tiling has started.

Photos below for everything excluding the tiling because it looks rubbish at the moment and I'm a bit embarrassed.

Plumbing for the shower;
1.jpg

2.jpg

Plastered up;
3.jpg

Waterproofing done;
5.jpg

M

Marvo

With hindsight I should have brought the horizontal supply side pipework in lower and made the pipe across to the shower head higher then I could gone straight in and out of the taps. It would have been a lot easier but by the time I realised I didn't want to upset wifey with more dust by grinding again.

There's no particular reason I got separate valves, there's all sorts of shower mixer taps available and also fancy ones with thermostatic type mixing valves. Just figured simply separate valves would work fine and they're budget friendly.

M

Marvo

I have another question please.

If you look at the gap in the metros in the second picture there's a gap with 2 tiles missing where there's an electrical conduit box in the wall.

How do I cut a 60mm round hole in the tiles to accomodate that? Unfortunately I don't have any fancy diamond cutters or anything like that, the closest I have might be a Dremmel tool or normal SDS drills etc.

B

Blunt Tool

I have another question please.

If you look at the gap in the metros in the second picture there's a gap with 2 tiles missing where there's an electrical conduit box in the wall.

How do I cut a 60mm round hole in the tiles to accomodate that? Unfortunately I don't have any fancy diamond cutters or anything like that, the closest I have might be a Dremmel tool or normal SDS drills etc.
Mark up a couple and take it to a tiler friend or colleague who would have the tools to do it

Reply to Not Sure How You Guys Do This Every Day in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement