Search the forum,

Discuss Onlinetiler | Videos | A Professional Tilers' View On Tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

Nardini

"I've just worked out what the best bit about a regrouting job is; going home"

Brilliant!

:thumbsup:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

As above brilliant, I,ve been bangin on about thermal shock/ bring up the heating slowly. He sounds just like me, one job cost me two days labour, because the customer didn't listen to me:mad2: Keep up the good work Adam:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Onlinetiler

Hi guys, thanks for posting this vid.
This one has really confused me - the tiler was obviously half decent, knew enough to apply a tanking system in the shower (even though it's failed and we've isolated an area where it's leaking), also knew enough about UTH to fix Ditra mat and yet installed a thermostat inside the bathroom (unbelievable!!). The joints on the walls are excellent and for a polished 60x30cm it's very flat but the setting out is amateurish at best.
I just don't understand how someone who obviously has some talent for the craft can make such basic balls ups.
:mad2:

T

Hi guys, thanks for posting this vid.
This one has really confused me - the tiler was obviously half decent, knew enough to apply a tanking system in the shower (even though it's failed and we've isolated an area where it's leaking), also knew enough about UTH to fix Ditra mat and yet installed a thermostat inside the bathroom (unbelievable!!). The joints on the walls are excellent and for a polished 60x30cm it's very flat but the setting out is amateurish at best.
I just don't understand how someone who obviously has some talent for the craft can make such basic balls ups.
:mad2:

Hi mate, I take it you are not a fan of this wrap around method of setting out. What is wrong with good old centering walls, to give a pleasing effect. that job looked (pants) Who teaches this?:mad2:

T

excellent blog :thumbsup: how did you come to the conclusion its thermal shock?

Gary when the heating is commissioned, if it is not increased by no more than 5deg in any 24 hours, then held at optimum temp for 2 days. Then reduced again by no more than 5deg in any 24 hours, you risk thermal shock. You can tell if this is the problem, if the tile leaves the bed clean ( with just a sand paper feel of adhesive residue on the tile) then this is typical of thermal shock. As I said, I have been there:incazzato:

S

Spud

Gary when the heating is commissioned, if it is not increased by no more than 5deg in any 24 hours, then held at optimum temp for 2 days. Then reduced again by no more than 5deg in any 24 hours, you risk thermal shock. You can tell if this is the problem, if the tile leaves the bed clean ( with just a sand paper feel of adhesive residue on the tile) then this is typical of thermal shock. As I said, I have been there:incazzato:
I understand what thermal shock is and how its caused, its just the stress cracks are very similar with deflection, I noticed that the cracks followed the lines of the ufh and assumed that is how you decided it was thermal shock, I dont disagree with you ,i was just hoping that there was a bullet proof way of telling whether its deflection,thermal shock or under rated adhesive :thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
It's the residue on the tile, and the fact it pulls from the adhesive pretty clean. Deflection would have bits of adhesive on both the tile and the substrate still, right?

Reply to Onlinetiler | Videos | A Professional Tilers' View On Tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen