Search the forum,

Discuss Self Levelling Query. in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Trigger

Arms
uk
Hi All,

Doing an install at the moment which requires me to self level in two stages. I have put leveller over leveller in the past (priming between coats) and not thought much of it. However today I had a query and decided to call the manufacturers technical team and to my surprise they told me that you shouldn't put a second layer of levelling compound over the first as it won't bond.

Anyone come across this before? Everyday is a school day as they say.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Trigger

eddcottee

Arms
Ipswich
I had a problem recently as Topps had a leveller on sale which I had over ordered on one job, so used on another. Put the leveller in and it didnt quite reach the level I needed. Went to Topps for some more and it was discontinued. So got a bag of another leveller which on the packet highlighted existing self leveller as a suitable substrate, so i used that and the bond seemed fine. Perhaps it depends on the manufacturer mate.

Kevbos

Arms
London, UK
Please contribute to this thread if you have any new information or can even just reiterate what has been said already. :)
Hi All,

Doing an install at the moment which requires me to self level in two stages. I have put leveller over leveller in the past (priming between coats) and not thought much of it. However today I had a query and decided to call the manufacturers technical team and to my surprise they told me that you shouldn't put a second layer of levelling compound over if the first as it won't bond.

Anyone come across this before? Everyday is a school day as they say.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Trigger
They say that because if you go over the first coat there is not much to grip to as the first coat very smooth ! There are different levelling depths specifically to avoid this problem !upto 50mm I think anything above that should really be screeded !!

Reply to Self Levelling Query. in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement