Search the forum,

Discuss Tile Straight Onto This? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mickp

I am about to embark on tiling my bathroom floor and looking for a bit of advice. I have tiled a couple of floors before but always onto concrete and have gathered that upstairs floors need some different considerations. The house was built in 2013. The floor is solid and even. I am not 100% sure of what the floor is actually boarded with. It seems to be chipboard but with some kind of coating. I am wondering if I can tile straight onto this or whether or not I need to use backer board first. I would prefer not to as I could do without the additional thickness but above all I want to do the best possible job and have no issues with it. I feel like I could be answering my own question there. I was thinking to use keraflex maxi s1 adhesive to allow for some additional movement of the floor. Is this necessary?

I have searched a bit on the forum and it seems that most people are using backer boards in the bathroom when going onto ply or chipboard. The thing that is making me doubt if I need to is the coating on my floor (see below). I Plan to use 12mm thick quartz tiles and the bathroom is 4sqm.

Thanks in advance

Mick
floor.jpg

M

mickp

Looks like this could be more complicated than I imagined. The tiles I plan to use are these from tile mountain;

Quartz Stone Grey

In the description it says that keraquick adhesive must be used to fix quartz tiles. I was thinking keraflex was just a slower drying version of keraquick and that the s1 version was just a more flexible version of keraflex and would therefore be OK to use. Maybe it needs to be keraquick mixed with latex rather than water. I am guessing tile mountain are recommending this adhesive as it is a brand they stock. I'm not sure who actually manufacturers the tiles so can't find a manufacturer recommendation.

I did find some information on the porcelenosa website regarding adhesive used for their DQS tiles which are similar. The info states 2 part adhesive and also points out that it is the water in conventional adhesives that cause the problem.

I guess I now understand why a slow setting adhesive is not practical.

I'm beginning to think that this job may be better handled by a pro or maybe a re-think on the tile choice.

Glad I posted on here before diving straight in though. Could have gotten myself in a right mess.

Thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:
J

J Sid

I would stick Dural Ci + Matting down with Tile Master Adhesive S2 Ultimate, Then S2 Ultimate For the Quartz & Grout in Kerakoll Liquid Grout.
Have no Problem with the floor then!!
Why not use the adhesive recommend by the tile manufacturers?
I don't use Tilemaster, but is S2 Ultimate recommend for fix on waterproofed coated chipboard?

Belt and braces but meant to be 2 part adhesive with quartz/resin and I don't think s2 is recommended with Durabase
Yes No Problem Dural actually spec S2 to stick there matting down, but S1 is fine... And Tilemaster adhy S2 Is the choice for Quartz... absolutely no problem with this especially with underfloor heating

So that's a yes to waterproofed chipboard is it?
And your happy using a water based adhesive on resin tiles? Against recommendations.

This Tilemaster looks like a miracle product will have to look into it and speak to them, will save a fortune in costs. ;)
Yes Yes & Yes... Yes speack to Tilemasters.. The S2 Ultimate is fantastic. use it all the time with Dural matting on timber ... its the Future, I have used many products over the 23 years in the Tiling Game ... this one fills me with confidence! great service as well...

Good to know Tilemaster as come up with a product the sticks to substrates where other can't and fixes tiles where only none water based adhesive are recommend by the tile manufacturers.

So how do we stand if we fixed say Gulf Stone with Tilemaster S2 ultimate and there is a failure ?
Like any other get in touch with Tilemaster & their Technical department, Like I say Ask them, They Spec S2 ultimate for tiling Quartz, composite, Bitumen, Steel/metal, Green screed. Everything, and yes I use S2 on top of Dural Matting. If in any doubt I always ask before a project
Again Great Service from a Family run business, I have had no issues.

You maybe right, but how will you get on if the tile fails because you have not followed the tile manufacturers recommendations?
Will Tilemaster stand by you?
With Quartz I always ask where they have come from, They need good quality, you can use two -part Flexi Hardi backer, Liquid Grout..etc..but if they are cheap imitations, like I am sure you have seen Then There is still a Risk, Tiles curling at edges etc... Will the internet shop stand by thier tiles??/ No, They will always look for blame in fixing, I only do each job as if it were my own, I do not want comebacks,
I would recommend trying Tilemasters... or at least, get in touch, see for yourself...

Reply to Tile Straight Onto This? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for tiling.I have removed the floor boards and plan to lay 18mm WBP plywood.The question is, what...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which is very thick concrete. He wants electric underfloor heating but I'm concerned he'll lose too much...
Replies
Views
Hello I plan to tile our bathroom with 60x60 cm tiles (8 mm thick) and the shower (because of the slope from all sides) will be done with mosaic tiles (5x5 cm). After researching I came to the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that wall material has been taken off as well, so everything had to be smoothed. After smoothing with some...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement