Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling onto plasterboard options in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Hi all - I have some small format ceramic tiles (10x10x1cm) to use as a splash back around the kitchen worktop (tiling up about 0.3m with some Schluter trim along the exposed edges). The wall is skimmed and painted plasterboard (in very good condition). My plans was to sand back the paint and BAL prime before starting.

The hitch is that the tiles we like come in at 20 kg/m2, so closer to 22 kg/m2 with the adhesive behind. This obviously exceeds the often quoted limit for skimmed plasterboard.

My question is - is it exceeding it by enough to worry about it? Does it being directly above the kitchen worktop reduce the load on the wall at all?

Alternatively, what is the best option; find different tiles, or fix up a strip of 6mm backer board first, and hide the edge with some thicker Schluter trim?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Reply to Tiling onto plasterboard options in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement