Search the forum,

Discuss Wall and Floor Tiling Advice for Kate the Mate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Please see my earlier thread for background information to this problem.

http://www.tilersforums.com/stone-tiling-forum/40827-travertine-tiles-shower-help-needed.html

The tiler/plumber started on Tuesday this week. He brought with him a younger guy to assist. They took out the bath, washbasin, loo and shower tray and boarded and then tiled the floor. The tiles had all been sealed first. So far, so good I thought.

Yesterday they put the bath back in and then started tiling around the bath. All seemed to be going well as far as I could see. Today, the main man went out 'to get some grout' and was gone for over three hours. During that time his assistant (a carpenter) carried on tiling. I went upstairs to see how he was getting on and was horrified to see that he had started at one corner of the wall and has worked across the wall, but when he gets to the other corner there is a gap which he tells me he will fill with grout. He has used very few spacers, working mainly by eye, so the grouting gaps are not consistent, some are big, some are small. My picture will explain better than me.

When the main man gets back he tells me not to worry, he will cut some slithers of tile to put in the gaps, which he has done, but to me the whole thing has been spoiled. There is a full tile at one end of the wall and a slither of tile at the other, and it's the wall facing you as you come into the bathroom. I could have wept. I really wanted a great job and, to me, it looks amateurish. Picture enclosed.

On another wall the bath is centred and the taps are centred too, but the tiling is not centred on the taps so the tiling looks unbalanced. Please tell me, will it look better when it's grouted, which is what the tiler tells me? Am I being too particular?

I really wanted to feel that this was fabulous, it's costing a fortune, but I feel physically sick about what to do or think.

Attachments

• PB010102.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 266
  • PB020104.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 262

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Hi Kate, not good setting out at all, on the bath, yes it should have been centred, looks odd as it is, in my opinion, as for the shower, very very bad setting out, as as for putting slither in, it will look just as bad.

Sorry.

EDIT: and with grout, it will still look bad, that's the bottom of it, it is a bad job.

Sorry.

Last edited:
E

enduro

That is poor setting out, photo 2 is not acceptable you must get them to do it again. Dont pay them until its right.

S

Stewart

As above.... poor planning before commencing with the tiling. Insist they put right!

Reply to Wall and Floor Tiling Advice for Kate the Mate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen