Guest viewing is limited

Discuss 1 -0 to Switzerland! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Spain lost!

Brazil only just won against N.Korea.

England lost to the US (in the words of the New york Post, it was actually 1-1)

What's going on with this world cup?

Nice to see some teams doing better than expected, and the ones who assume they're going to win draw or lose even.

When's England's next game lads and lasses?

R

Rob Z

Hi Chris,

I watched the first half of the game Argentina-Korea. My guys are here now doing a little bit of work at my house, and then we are going to watch the Mexico game at 230PM. These guys do anything I ask them to do on the jobsite with no complaints, so I'm letting them have paid time off to watch the games that are important to them. They're happy. :D

Soccer has been gaining a lot of ground here in the US on the local level and the youth level. Almost all schools have soccer teams, and many areas have club teams and travelling teams. I played when I was younger, but by the time I got to high school (age 14-18), I stopped playing soccer and baseball and only played football.

Baseball has been losing ground for years, although I don't know why. For generations, practically every kid in the US would be playing baseball every sunny day and in anyplace where a semi-flat and clear piece of ground could be found. My son is consumed with baseball and plays from the moment he gets home from school until we make him go to bed at night. I hope he continues with it because I love the game and would enjoy watching him play as he grows up.

I was looking at the team roster for the US, and see that one of the players went to my high school. He's a lot younger than I am, but even back when I was there my school was a bit of a soccer powerhouse and we had some great teams. No doubt, this player on the US team got his start in those leagues that were going strong when I was younger.

R

Rob Z

Dom, I can handle your joking mate. :D

Some history, though....the term "Soccer" originated in England.:thumbsup:

Our game of "football", which had its basis in rugby, was properly called "football" in the early days because it was a game played by kicking and running the ball. Laterals and pitched balls were part of the game, but the forward pass was not part of the game for many years. Many people (I'm one of them) prefer football to be played with many more running plays and kicking plays and far fewer passing plays. On the major college level and in the pros the aerial game predominates now, which is why so many wonder why it's called football.

In many ways, the game now bears little resemblence to the game that started over a century ago.

Reply to 1 -0 to Switzerland! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

M
Hi all Interested in views from the trade world about how I should deal with a big floor tiling...
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Replies
Views
Is the Football World Cup determined by numbers? 1. Brazil won the World Cup in 1994...
Replies
Views
Colour Republic
C
G
Ebay, you either love it or hate it ! I must admit I use it a lot, sometimes not to buy but to...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Gazzer
G
Some rules for the women during the world cup 1. From 11 June to 11 July 2010, you should read...
Replies
Views
wivers
W
P
Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs. The seven dwarfs always left to go work in the mine early each...
Replies
Views
hillhead
H

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Dan

Staff member
Admin
Staffordshire, UK
Website
https://www.tilersforums.co.uk
What member type are you?
  1. DIY Wall and Floor Tiler
Business Name
Ekthetikos / untold.media

Thread Information

Title
1 -0 to Switzerland!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.