UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss 16mtr, 600 by 600 porcelain kitchen floor on ply ? advice please ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

2020Tiling

Hi ! iam after some advice on this one thanks. Ive got a Porcelain floor to tile in 2 weeks time, the tiles are 600 by 600 mat black slate effect with a hint of a silver speck when the light hits it. Anyway the floor is solid after been over boarded with 18mm ply on top of solid floor boards after nogins have been fitted etc, the floor has no deflection. ply has the correct expansion gap etc. The problem i have is thers an old chimney stack that has been replaced leaving a concrete slab where the cooker is and this sticks out around 12 inches from the plyths , so the ply has just been butted up to the concrete and is slightly higher than the ply floor? also the floor isnt 100% flat /level in places. just after your views on how the best way to prep this would be ? theres no ufh. I was thinking slc on the dips in the floor then ditra , but unsure how to tackle the old chimney slab ? what do you guys recon ? :)

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
I too would level then Ditra not sure if schluter recommend levelling compound over ditra but I may be wrong as things do change from time to time

You can level over it gaz! but I'd rather level then ditra!! I would only level on top if I was doing geometrics.....! ;)
It was good to meet you the other day!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2020Tiling

Re: 16mtr, 600 by 600 porcelain kitchen floor on ply ? advice please

018.JPG 019.JPG

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester

Iam totaly confused ?? Help!
Terry if the floor is uneven then using 600x600 tiles will be a nightmare!the floor needs to be flat!so screed the floor flat with fibreplan and tile it. as long as the floor is rigid and stable you will be fine.you don't need ditra!! imho sorry for confusing you ;)

P

Protilers

from a technical standpoint on the photos provided you should:

1. level the entire floor with a good quality SLC (fibre reinforced would be a preference for me!)
2. lay a decoupler across the entire area and then tile........

but because the area is sooooooo small i would lay a simple (inexpensive) crack iso membrane like "maptex" or "mapnet".... then screed with a good quality SLC and tile away...........(maptex is a fibreglass roll and mapnet is like underfloor heating without the wire!)

best wishes

Lee.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bugs183

I've spoken to Bal and Schluter about this very issue and got two different answers, one said Ditra onto ply then level, the other said level on the ply then then Ditra.
In my opinion why level onto ply and then Ditra, if you need an uncoupling membrane because you are using ply then get the ditra in first.
This one is down to you matey, there are no fixed rules here!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 16mtr, 600 by 600 porcelain kitchen floor on ply ? advice please ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.