Discuss 1st job - bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jammeh

Hi All,

Thanks for your warm welcome (where I also described a bit about my project http://www.tilersforums.com/new-members-say-hi-here/57930-new-member-introduction.html)

I'm now thinking about starting on the bathroom, walls first probably, and have been considering adhesive etc.

I've tried to take a couple of pics:
Photo 13-04-2012 21 52 07.jpg Photo 13-04-2012 22 00 29.jpg Photo 13-04-2012 22 01 01.jpg

These show the stack of tiles awaiting fixing (more in a mo)
The left and centre walls of the room, and then the right hand wall.
(sorry about the lack of rotation, my mac uses the orientation info to "correctly" display them so i don't notice they're not the right way up)

The tiles are the Laura Ashley Canbridge range, mosiac (pressed) for the centre wall and plain for the sides. These are ceramic ~400 x ~250mm
There are also some 450x450mm floor tiles on the pile.

You'll see from the picture that there is a copper pipe in the corner, my aim is to use some of the mosiac on a 45deg angle across this to avoid having a step/box arrangement. I'll do this by fixing a wooden panel up the length of the wall. To keep the symmetry of the room/bath I'll do the same on the other end of the central wall which goes along the length of the bath.

Given I've got various other rooms/walls to do (some onto wooden floor) I was looking at something like the BAL single part flexible adhesive and thinking that using it everywhere would avoid having various half bags left over etc. However, having seen the price of it this doesn't seem like a money saving idea?
Having hunted about the prices at tradepoint (I have a local B&Q, & the trade card there but not elsewhere) seem pretty decent compared to other options. They have a pretty wide range of the buildfix adhesive & grout available but not so much of the bal. Having read a bit here I know I'm certainly looking for a flexible for the floor, but perhaps it's not needed for the wall. I'm not worried about quick set though, and there's no urgency to traffic the areas.

My questions: :smilewinkgrin:

- the wall above the bath has a square of fresh plaster where there used to be a window - should i prime or otherwise prepare this?
- how daft is it to use bal single part flex or buildfix super flexible (mapei keraflex) everywhere?
- should i get grout from the same manufacturer as the adhesive i've used, or doesn't it matter?
- do i worry about the weight of these based on the wall condition? (previously tiled, now scraped clean and seem pretty sound)

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, and for any suggestions!

Cheers
James

Attachments

• 6928696956_ed863fd97c_b_d.jpg
    491 KB · Views: 83
  • Photo 13-04-2012 22 01 01.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 70
T

tfs

Hi mate, welcome to the forum.

To answer some of your questions.

Yes the new area of plaster will need t be primed as will the rest of the walls if they are plaster.

Yes, Mapei Keraflex maxi would be fine to use on most areas. It is slow seeting too so may be a good choice for a beginer. It stays in the bucket for up to 6 hours also if I remeber correctly.

I would choose the ultra colour grout for the floors if it was me and perhaps sf for the walls (just my prefference)

If the condition of the walls is pretty good then normal weight restrictions apply but i the walls are blown or flaky etc then this will need to be put right first.

Hope that help mate.

good luck with the job!

J

Jammeh

Thanks for your replies keraflex maxi it is, and most likely ultra colour plus for the grout, and that brings me onto my latest question :)

I have just been measuring up the tiles, and noticed the (pressed) mosaic tiles only have a 1mm gap between them within each tile. Obviously I will want to replicate this between tiles as well, but I've also seen lots of reccomendations on the forum that joints should be 2mm min. If this is the case I'm a bit annoyed I've bought these tiles!

I see from the Mapei spec sheet that ultra colour plus is 2mm to 20mm joints and the keracolor sf is for "up to" 4mm, I'd rather use ultra colour though as I understand it's more flexible, will the mm really make much difference?

Cheers
james

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 1st job - bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB