Guest viewing is limited

Discuss 5th job Blues....am I a rouge tiler......? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

LM Ceramics

im sorry to hear that anthony and with being a new tiler sounds like a nightmare job i ve just finished a bathroom similar to yours plyed walls and most walls you could put your straight edge on it a fit your hand in it to be honest despite tiling since i left school 4 years ago i really struggled with that job and i totatally agree with mz yet again bout some of these course tiling a workshop (4 m2) is completley different to tiling a full bathroom dont feel too bad there was obsticles like rough walls and plyed walls but you need to now how to deal with them thats when experience comes in alot of these courses send lads out like someone said in a previous post conviencing them they could tile some people have got it and some havent

rushing it to self employment after a 4 day course is a bit foolish gain experience and when you think your confiedent to go out and tile properly then go for it make as much money as you can try tiling part time or now and again see if you can pull jobs in or try asking tiling firms for work or ring tilers and ask them for experience/apprentice

end of the day if your customer is happy with your work then you should try rectify it and i hope the so called "tiler/joiner wont bad mouth you"

also to add next time you get a job just be honest and tell the customer how long you have been tiling

Thanks for all your responses folks - Its good to know I can get some good honest advise.

I think the job faulted due to me being pressured by the customer to finish - Lesson definatley learnt - I have decided to tell any future customers that I am fairly new in tiling and may be a bit slower.

I'd love to get into a tiling firm etcc... as LM pointed out but as far as I can see there is only 1 other tiler within 80miles (maybe Grumpy is the next closest!)

I have just been to estimate a job for a kitchen with black 10 by 20 brick like tiles and a glass mosaic splashback........I'm sure if I get the job I'll be back on about those mosaics!!

I really want to make a go of this and I certainly do have pride in my work - although I am still really dissapointed with my last job - Its made me more determined to spend more time and get it right next time - I'll post some pictures if sucessful!

Thanks again all - and I'll keep you posted.
----
Hi Anthony,

This job sounds like a real bummer and that's a shame. I think the advice already offered sums up a steep learning curve and as a fairly new tiler myself I can only add some (I hope) reassurance.

I, too, have had jobs that I felt could be achieved within a "certain" timescale and I have price them accordingly. The one thing that I never do is advise the customer how long the job may take. If asked, I always say that the job will take as long as it takes as I never rush my work to ensure that I deliver the best possible results. And besides, it's not as though the customer is paying me on a day rate so why should they be bothered by my progress (or lack of)??

I try not to get down when a job starts to run into extra days by looking back at my work and taking pride in what I have achieved - just remember that it is all valuable experience. I do make a point of advising clients in a subtle way that a) their choice of cheap s**t tiles does not help matters, b) their uneven walls / floors will affect the final result and c) cheap adhesive is only good for filling cracks no matter what Topps Tiles tell you - aaaargh, crap job and materials today (rant done)!

It is easy to spot a "fussy" customer, so make a point of discussing your professionalism and advise that you only have happy customers because if you or your customers are not happy with the end result YOU rectify the problem, at your cost. Remind Mr & Mrs fussy that you rely on a good reputation. I always drop into the conversation that it takes years to build a good reputation and minutes to ruin it!

Keep your chin up, it appears that you have done nothing wrong. I'm pretty sure that "the other tiler / chippy" is not the only other tiler or chippy in town so do some networking and you will be surprised how quickly things take shape for you.

Be confident and be prepared to take the odd job as a kick in the teeth as you'll be amazed at how quick a £1k profit week comes along - happy days!

Good luck and we're here to offer help and support.
Keep smiling and tiling.

Cheers buddy - an uplifting response! Although admittedly a £1k week seems a loooooong way off yet!!!

Thanks again mate and I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

AK

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Daz

I hear you Whitebeam, and I would agree that you should be able to easily charge £150 a day. I usually estimate wall tiling with a similar figure in mind but find that a floor in excess of 40 sqm is when you can start to make good money. For example, I'm doing a porcelain floor this week which is 40 sqm in an Opus Romano pattern. I installed 'lectric UFH on Monday and will have it tiled by end of week clearing around £1200 after materials.

The jobs are out there and you just need to be lucky in finding them I guess.

Hey guys, just another quick post to say thanks for all those offering advice and support - I even got an offer to go and work for a few days with a Tiler - fairly near me which is great.

I have taken on board all that has been said and decided to wipe my mouth and get on with it - I know I'll never forget that job which will be enough to stop me making the same mistakes again.

I'm currently on a kitchen and will post some pics when done!

Cheers again folks!:yes:

AK

G

GazTech

Hi Anthony

I am based in Golspie and have work all over Highlands, if you are wanting to get in contact with me pm me. I have job on at the moment wet room floor, steps and natural stone floor in crazy paving all in one garage conversion. So if you want to come and labour for a couple of days let me know.

Cheers,

Gary

Highlander
Top man Lander for the kindness of your offer......Gaz :thumbsup:

Reply to 5th job Blues....am I a rouge tiler......? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
5th job Blues....am I a rouge tiler......?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.