Discuss 6mm X 1m X 1m Tiles - Why So Bloody Thin?!?! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Spud

I'm fixing these 6mm enormous tiles .have no idea why the need to be so thin ? As they need to have 3mm bed on back of tile and 6 mm on floor .the bed on the back doubles weight and complicates the fixing .why are tiles this big being made this thin .they just bow ?
You have to be spot on with the prep work once your floors or walls are right they go down very nicely

K

Kevbos

I get you there .but getting builders to prepare nicely is a different ball game .I'm now a tiler screed er self leveller plasterer lol
And they being fixed on a polystyrene underfloor heating board covered in foil .after speaking to the underfloor heating supplier and then mapei .I was told must be kept dust free to stick to the foil on polystyrene .yet it's a 80m2 floor how do I keep it dust free

K

Kevbos

They're becoming really popular now so get good at them as a fair few tilers will just shy away from that kinda work if they've screwed a couple up. Not cheap to put right.

@Ray TT @ Porcel-Thin is the resident expert and even holds some courses from time to time I think too.
I just don't get why I'm being asked to tile on a weak substrate .every footprint leaves a depression in foil and polystyrene .

K

Kevbos

This system requires a 2 part adhesive made by mapei .seems silly to me .but it's what is specified by supplier of under floor heating system
The polystyrene boards are grooved for the underfloor heating pipes .stuck with a type of vinyl adhesive .the polystyrene is covered in foil to reflect the heat up through tile ..to me it seems they pushing boundaries as foil and polystyrene aren't in my mind very strong .

W

White Room

This system requires a 2 part adhesive made by mapei .seems silly to me .but it's what is specified by supplier of under floor heating system
The polystyrene boards are grooved for the underfloor heating pipes .stuck with a type of vinyl adhesive .the polystyrene is covered in foil to reflect the heat up through tile ..to me it seems they pushing boundaries as foil and polystyrene aren't in my mind very strong .

How thick is the polystyrene and what 2 part is the Mapei ?

H

hmtiling

A tiler i know used the same system with a mapei 2 part. a good 6 months ago and no calls, but with full bodied porc.

K

Kevbos

App
Aren't ly the system is 3 times more efficient than in screed heating .but I'm just worried at the extent of perfect tiling and fixing applications needed to ensure the lab tested
How thick is the polystyrene and what 2 part is the Mapei ?
The polystyrene is I think about 20 mm made by wunda.they specify kera bond and isolastic made by mapei .I spoke to both technical sides of companies .wunda very positive .mapei just said yes their leaflet specifies this so go with it

S

Spud

I get you there .but getting builders to prepare nicely is a different ball game .I'm now a tiler screed er self leveller plasterer lol
please make sure you get all of this in writing from the tile supplier, ufh company and mapei as this isn't something I would fit thin tiles over
kera bond and isolastic won't give you a loose enough mortar to gain full coverage on the thin tiles in my experience how runny does it knock up ?

K

Kevbos

App

Aren't ly the system is 3 times more efficient than in screed heating .but I'm just worried at the extent of perfect tiling and fixing applications needed to ensure the lab tested

The polystyrene is I think about 20 mm made by wunda.they specify kera bond and isolastic made by mapei .I spoke to both technical sides of companies .wunda very positive .mapei just said yes their leaflet specifies this so go with it
please make sure you get all of this in writing from the tile supplier, ufh company and mapei as this isn't something I would fit thin tiles over
kera bond and isolastic won't give you a loose enough mortar to gain full coverage on the thin tiles in my experience how runny does it knock up ?
Lol hence me varying my worries about this .wunda is the underfloor heating system and this is what they specify .and mapei technical confirmed this also .so I've done all I can to cover my self .but I know it just goes against most tiling rules .

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

have you any pictures of the set up. minumum requirement 4 mm fibra renforced floor leveler over pipes
then 1 mm iso mat decoupler then 10mm serate with ragni trowel floor. back skim tile flat all serrates should be same way. tile pushed against them back and forth .done 120 m2 of floor like this a year ago no problems .
you can all ways give me a ring if you want to talk one to one

W

White Room

have you any pictures of the set up. minumum requirement 4 mm fibra renforced floor leveler over pipes
then 1 mm iso mat decoupler then 10mm serate with ragni trowel floor. back skim tile flat all serrates should be same way. tile pushed against them back and forth .done 120 m2 of floor like this a year ago no problems .
you can all ways give me a ring if you want to talk one to one

Are you still advising Ray on back notching the 600x1200 porcel thin tile though ?

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Are you still advising Ray on back notching the 600x1200 porcel thin tile though ?
mark i have always tested and tested again on walls a serrate and a flat back skim will work if the walls are flat
same as floors do the prep serrate the floor flat back the tile easyer to break the ribs less force needed
now the floor if uneven and you need to make up the diffence the the double serate is the way to go
as this allows you to even out the rise and falls a little more force needed to get the tile were needed
and lash clips a must

Reply to 6mm X 1m X 1m Tiles - Why So Bloody Thin?!?! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I am sure someone will know a good practice solution. We started a wetroom last year and then...
Replies
Views
Hello I need to rip out and refit my bathroom, including retiling a bath area which will have a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB