Discuss 70mm holes... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
D

Deleted member 1779

porsaclamp.jpg

70-1.jpg

9.jpg

Porsadrill 70mm diamond core drill bit with Porsaclamp

mie.jpg

Tilers forum members get discounts off all our diamond cores.

ULT1.jpg

Very popular at the moment are the British made box sets which come with a free toolset including the PORSACLAMP.

ultimate_logo660.jpg

D

Deleted member 1779

So far we've avoided vaccum brazed (need to be run at high speeds) because we would have to import them.

We did trial some of the vaccum brazed smaller cores and they just dont last (for the money) the same as a pack of silver cores.

turbocore.jpg

But the problem is they really should be run at 30,000rpm (angle grinder speed) and these cores are set to be used with a drill which will only run about 10,000rpm so too slow for vaccum brazed.

FREEWAY.jpg

We are sticking to our range - There is not much room on the shelves !

S

Spare Tool

my advice would be to get some parrot pinchers drill a big enough hole and pinch away
Sorry tea bag and anyone else that thinks this is the way to cut a 70mm hole, it most definitely is not... I did these holes this afternoon...I bought a 70mm diamond drill off the internet for less than £12.
I reckon including marking up the centres of 3 tiles, walking to the van to get my water feed kit, drill and guide then drilling out the 3 holes in porcelain took me less than 15minutes...
Whats the point in drilling out say a 20mm hole then spending another 5 to 10mins nibbling away when a 70mm bit will do the hole in one go...when you times that by 3 you,ve just saved half an hour. Diamond bits of the correct size are the way to go for sure:thumbsup: Cheaper than 3 chickens from Tesco:smilewinkgrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Concrete guy

But the problem is they really should be run at 30,000rpm (angle grinder speed) and these cores are set to be used with a drill which will only run about 10,000rpm so too slow for vaccum brazed.

Angle grinders run at circa 10,000 to 12,000 rpm. Rotozips and similar run as fast as 30,000 rpm.

We stock the M14 Vacuum Brazed Core bits, they are designed to be run at 10,000 to 12,000 rpm.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Angle grinders run at circa 10,000 to 12,000 rpm. Rotozips and similar run as fast as 30,000 rpm.

We stock the M14 Vacuum Brazed Core bits, they are designed to be run at 10,000 to 12,000 rpm.

Rotozip is possibly the worst bit of kit i have ever purchased,, absulute pants., sold it on ebay .
Grinders , good blades, core bits and drills are the way, no doubt .
I also have the bosch grinder with the hole cutter attachments , thats a good piece of kit , do you do the core bits what attach to these grinders alan ???

C

Concrete guy

I also have the bosch grinder with the hole cutter attachments , thats a good piece of kit , do you do the core bits what attach to these grinders alan ???

Yes we do these M14 fitting vacuum brazed bits.

Dall-sizes_600.jpg

There's a thread on the forum about them:-

http://www.tilersforums.com/143-tiling-tool-reviews/70653-ats-diamond-tools-dry-core-drills.html

For 6,7 & 8mm holes we now do wax filled bits which are more suitable for Porcelain. For 10mm holes in porcelain upwards these M14 bits are ideal.

S

Spare Tool

if I get paid per hour I can do holes using my finger.
when on price I got corer ready.
Be nice to get paid by the hour and just drag the job on and on but I think the £10 a hole price is fair and the quicker you've drilled your hole the quicker you've earn't your tenner...3 holes=£30 in fifteen minutes, that's £120 an hour, think I might start a hole drilling service :smilewinkgrin:

M

Mr Tiler

Sorry tea bag and anyone else that thinks this is the way to cut a 70mm hole, it most definitely is not... I did these holes this afternoon...I bought a 70mm diamond drill off the internet for less than £12.
I reckon including marking up the centres of 3 tiles, walking to the van to get my water feed kit, drill and guide then drilling out the 3 holes in porcelain took me less than 15minutes...
Whats the point in drilling out say a 20mm hole then spending another 5 to 10mins nibbling away when a 70mm bit will do the hole in one go...when you times that by 3 you,ve just saved half an hour. Diamond bits of the correct size are the way to go for sure:thumbsup: Cheaper than 3 chickens from Tesco:smilewinkgrin:

no word of a lie it would take m,e no more then 3 mins if that to get from a 20mm hole to a 70mm... just depends what pace you work at tbh. but yeh the best option is what you say mate and glad you found the answer you were looking for :thumbsup:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
no word of a lie it would take m,e no more then 3 mins if that to get from a 20mm hole to a 70mm... just depends what pace you work at tbh. but yeh the best option is what you say mate and glad you found the answer you were looking for :thumbsup:

3 minutes? I'd love to see that, ciuld you do a video for everyone using your method on a grade 5?

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
No need to do it that way in this day and age , its like using a length of 2x1 to mix your addy or getting a horse to pull your car [emoji41]

I've got 362 horses that pull my car Craig :thumbsup:

Seriously though, why on earth would you use old methods to do a job when the tools are available to do it more accurately and quicker :dizzy2:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
I've got 362 horses that pull my car Craig :thumbsup:

Seriously though, why on earth would you use old methods to do a job when the tools are available to do it more accurately and quicker :dizzy2:

All the crap in my van john i may need to borrow some :(
I also agree john, totally , i remember when i 1st got a electric tile cutter, around 1995 , i couldn't believe id used tile saws and nippers , i was like a teenager again who had had his 1st titty feel [emoji12]

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
All the crap in my van john i may need to borrow some :(
I also agree john, totally , i remember when i 1st got a electric tile cutter, around 1995 , i couldn't believe id used tile saws and nippers , i was like a teenager again who had had his 1st titty feel [emoji12]

Where did you plug it in cos there was no electric in Burnley in '95 :thumbsup:

Reply to 70mm holes... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, What would be the best way to cut holes in 10mm marble tiles for electrical sockets...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB