Discuss 90 x 45cm Porcelains what tile cutter? in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com.

R

RickyLee53

Hello,

I'm about to tile my master bathroom so looking for some advice. I haven't done much tiling before but as with the rest of the house plan to "attack" it myself. The tiles have a slight texture and matt finish if this makes a difference.

I don't mind spending on the correct tools to do the job. I currently have a wet cut saw cannot remember the brand. However the top is around 700 x 700 and I'm worried about the size of these and the length of some of the cuts. Would I be better spending on a "clinker". If so, what brand.

With the size of the tile I'm worried about floor movement. This is what is already done.

22mm WBP ply screwed to joists every 300mm.
Primer
Flexy adhesive
10mm cement based board screwed at 300mm's.
Primer
Now the floor was more of less flat/level 3-5mm deviation on 6 foot level.
Cable UFH (mainly to dry floor when it gets wet) I also taped the whole of the joints with a waterproof tape.
Flexy SLC to cover cables. Floor is within 2-3mm level/flat across 6 foot level.

I have left this for approx 2-3 weeks. One small crack has appeared. (hairline) however this still concerns me a little especially given the size of these tiles.

Any thoughts or tips would be great.

I'm also putting some smaller tiles on the walls. 25kg per m2 and plan to go on waterproof plasterboard coated in BAL WP1. (boarderline I read)
Lastly The other wall is split face stone tiles (very heavy), don't know exact weight. Plan is to go onto ply (only 1m in height)

R

RickyLee53

Thanks for the link. That would work great for the cross cuts no doubt. But i'm going to have to cut a few tiles along the length and that won't be long enough. Will the wet cut saw be ok for this do you think? I've only got travetine on it in the past. I managed to cut those straight enough, but Porcelain I imagine will be a lot harder.

Do you have any concerns about the airline crack that has appeared in the SLC? Do you think this could indicate floor flex, or more likely something else?

Sounds like you've researched well there.

Most cutters that cut large format will be of decent quality. A rubi I'd use personally.
Rubi TS-70 PLUS Manual Tile Cutter £219.99 in stock - next day UK delivery

I'll take some pictures, as I also want some tips on laying out. In the past I've literally laid out a number of tiles in each direct to see what "works". But this is such an awkward shaped room I've no idea. (plus don't have the tiles yet).

R

RickyLee53

I have nearly completed this job now. Floor tiles only arrived a week or two ago.

I didn't end up buying a clinker type cutter. I just used the wet and grinder with blade in. (thanks for advise)

One thing I have struggled with is the fact that the tiles weren't perfectly flat. They were close, but sometimes out as much as 1mm from end to end. This meant (and stupidly I didn't check till I'd started) I have inevitable lips of 0.5mm in places. (I'm not sure what acceptable and what isn't, But perfectly flat is surely desirable) I only used 3mm spacers as well because I didn't want huge grout lines. Nobody seems to notice but me, and you can't feel it too much under foot. I rotated and hand picked the best tiles for heavy traffic area's.

Overall nobody other than me seems to notice. I've still got about 2 sq meters to do and various fiddle cuts around the edges.

Now my question is. What the hell do I put around the edges. The room is part tiled. Shower (obviously), behind the bath. And one feature wall. But this leaves about 6-7 linear meters of wall. I was thinking of the same tiles as the floor to form a 100mm or similar upstand. With a trim ontop. Skirting board just doesn't seem "right". Any other bright idea's.

If my posts still need to be approved could a Mod edit the title a little at the same time? Thought i'd keep everything in one place rather than 10 different threads.

R

RickyLee53

Yes mate make a tiled skirting ,you could even ,bullnose it. 0.05 lippage !! that sounds good for a newbie !! lol

I'm just guessing. Its probably a mm in places. Certainly no more though. I'll take some pictures shortly, It isn't grouted yet.

I've just done another couple of the awkward cuts and still have a couple left.

The only probably I have with the tiled skirting would be the tile trim. How do you join 2 straights without it looking ugly? The longest length I would need is 3.2 meters. But the longest I've seen is 2.5m.

R

RickyLee53

Here are the pictures. Let me know good or bad anything. Obviously the wall tiles are yet to have the trims installed and the trims need cutting down. It's staying just 3 tiles high behind the bath.

This is one of the worst steps. However the Camera plays a trick. Believe it or not the 3mm spacers is on the lowest tile. It looks to be higher on the picture.

I did this with a dry cutting disc in the 115mm grinder.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 90 x 45cm Porcelains what tile cutter? in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
D
Hello, A recent property purchase as an investment in Florida. Home is 1-owner from new. I'm...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 60189
D
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views
Evening all, I've got a job coming up soon in a bathroom, wall to ceiling around the bath then...
Replies
Views

Popular Tile Cutter Threads

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB