Discuss A Bit Of Inspiration Needed To Resolve A Poor Job Please in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

chrisnic

we had our kitchen replaced last year which included laying about 40sqm of tiles, the quality of the tiling was generally 'ok' apart from in the dining area which has ended up being unacceptably poor and I'm struggling to live with it.

We are left with polished porcelain with very regular 2-3 mm lips which when looked at from a distance look awful and it's easy to catch toes, chair legs etc on them which just continues to frustrate me and I just can't live with it.

My ideas so far are.....

1. Take up the area and redo replacing tiles that break in the process but there is no guarantee of getting the same tiles again and the pattern is part of the problem.

2. Replace the tiles in that area with 600x600 tiles in the same style/colour laid in a standard pattern but again no guarantee of getting something suitable.

3. Go for something contrasting in that area so no need to match but runs the risk of looking odd and loosing the flow between the rooms.

Some thoughts would be very much appreciated and then I need to find someone to complete the job.

L

Luis Franco

In my humble opinion even if you find the same tile and the tile is curved you will have the same problem .
Even if you get a good tiler e only can minimize the lippage, i think the best pattern for curved tiles is this one.
So... my opinion is to replace all the floor or your choice number 3 only if the tiles are curved, otherwise if the tiles are okay replace only that area.
PS: Sorry for my English :(
1e49ee820784a925f9b9b6f0c7eb0108.jpg

C

chrisnic

Have you had the dude back who laid the tiles to possible rectifi the issues or comment on this rustic finish.
Are the tiles curved or just badly laid.

Unfortunately that ship has sailed, I lifted quite a number at the time as they were truely awful and the remainder of the job was done to a reasonable standard but he is a jack of all trades. The area in question was also made more challenging by the state of the concrete base which was half original and half more recent (extension).

I should have pushed the matter more at the time but....

Having laid tiles on top of each other im confident that they were pretty flat so im putting it down to the job being rushed, insufficient leveling compound being used and the pattern chosen (by me).

C

chrisnic

In my humble opinion even if you find the same tile and the tile is curved you will have the same problem .
Even if you get a good tiler e only can minimize the lippage, i think the best pattern for curved tiles is this one.
So... my opinion is to replace all the floor or your choice number 3 only if the tiles are curved, otherwise if the tiles are okay replace only that area.
PS: Sorry for my English :(
View attachment 73133

Thank you for your reply and don't worry your English is fine!

What you cant see from the photo is the tiles then flow through into the kitchen, utility and downstairs shower room (hence the tiles being oriantated in that direction) so re laying in that pattern (which I now realise is correct) wouldnt really work.

O

Old Mod

Maybe first thing to do is to see if the same tile is available, it'll probably be a slightly different shade, but u have to start somewhere. You've already realised to fix the problem the tiles have to come up.
If u think the tiles were flat then it's the fixing that's at fault, and that can be rectified, and your pattern can remain intact.
A lot of time ranges that come in 600x300 also come in a complimenting 600x600 so that would also be an option.

C

chrisnic

Maybe first thing to do is to see if the same tile is available, it'll probably be a slightly different shade, but u have to start somewhere. You've already realised to fix the problem the tiles have to come up.
If u think the tiles were flat then it's the fixing that's at fault, and that can be rectified, and your pattern can remain intact.
A lot of time ranges that come in 600x300 also come in a complimenting 600x600 so that would also be an option.

My thinking about doing it in 600x600 is that it would avoid having to walk 'against the flow' when moving from the living room to that area (photo taken from the door to living room). There is a natural divide where the old dining room joined the kitchen and the tiles reflect this also.

C

chrisnic

A quick bit of digging reveals I can get the same style of tile in both 600x300 & 600x600 and at what I would consider a reasonable price (about what I paid previously).

Broken Link Removed

My wife wants to stick to the existing pattern but im nervous about whether it can be laid sufficiently flat. To rip it all up and still not a good finish isnt an option.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

I continue to ponder what to do as I obviously have to get it right this time, an idea ive had for a pattern is as follows

The 2 areas are similar in width so where the tiles would change direction would run nicely from corner to corner (right to left in the original picture).

Is there anything inherently wrong with this pattern?
Nothing wrong with the pattern, it's just a variation on what u have currently. So if u intend to avoid the half bond I'm afraid this doesn't solve the issue, sorry :(

C

chrisnic

Nothing wrong with the pattern, it's just a variation on what u have currently. So if u intend to avoid the half bond I'm afraid this doesn't solve the issue, sorry :(

Yeah, its more about creating a natural flow through the area as short of taking up the tiles in the whole area I dont think I can get something that ticks all the boxes.

In other area's the lips are far less significant so whilst the tiles could be bowed I think its more down to how the area was leveled and tiles laid.

O

Old Mod

Well u can easily check how flat they are by getting a rigid straight edge approx 600mm long and sit it flat on a tile across the centre on all axis and see if it rocks or by how much! So that would be lenghtways, and diagonally. If u don't posses such an edge then the edge of a spare tile would work, used on its thin edge. Obviously sight along the edge first to check if it's straight and true but generally they are, it's just the flatness that is questionable on occasion.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to A Bit Of Inspiration Needed To Resolve A Poor Job Please in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, i took some jobs as a contractor for some MC Donald's restaurants but i find it quite...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB