Discuss a bit of my work to date... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mr Tiler

I've never tiled on sites, but I have done plumbing 1st & 2nd fixes.
Unfortunately to make a bit of money, keep in front of other trades, and other pressures. You have to cut a bit of quality for speed. So I'm with ash on this one, but only on site work. Unfortunately it's how it is!

it really is how it is mate, if you were to see what the other trades do to cover there bad work you would be shocked but again it just is what it is if you have a deadline it must be kept to that deadline so nobody on site messes about... just crack on and get it done that's the attitude. but if I work on any private stuff it will be to the best of my capabilities as a tiler

M

Mr Tiler

I work for a company now mate for the past 6 months, not even a tiler yet lol. cant touch a floor hardly anyway. I have no clue as I don't ask. I just am told where to go and what time to be there and from there I get on with my job. and for the first time I am in long term employment with the promise of work for years to come. ive no idea how they get there sites mate I can only assume it is because they have been doing it for so long and im not interested as long as the work keeps coming my way lol

T

Time's Ran Out

mate I quoted a job last night 16 m2 and its costing them a lot of money, they wouldn't of accepted my quote if it was a d.i.y trade site is site and that's just how it is I cant change the world

Yet you say your not a tiler but you are quoting for private work for lots of money!
Just because the firm you are working for allows you to undertake sub standard work it is not acceptable for you to assume that all site work is done to these parameters. As others have said, a site foreman worth his salt wouldn't accept these practices and it's for this reason that our trade is not recognised by qualifications.

M

Mr Tiler

are you just a frustrated man john? I have been tiling for this company for the past 6 months if I wasn't able to tile I wouldn't be tiling for them they are not cowboys. yes I am ready to quote as many jobs as I can fit in as money is an issue atm and im workin my backside off to sort everything out. whats wrong with that? if everybody was like you than nothing would ever get done. you are here making a big deal out of nothing go and sit in the garden with a beer or something mate chill out

T

Time's Ran Out

The only frustration I have son is chancers like you who think enthuisiasm is enough to hoodwink others into thinking you are something you are not.
I stopped reading all your sob stories and posts months ago, but made the mistake of seeing if there had been any improvement in this thread. It's just the same and despite trying to give you some advice you just don't see the bigger picture.
If you feel the need to reply to any of my comments try to keep them civil or as in this case post me a PM so I can fully answer your uncalled for remarks.

R

Rossymcg

it really is how it is mate, if you were to see what the other trades do to cover there bad work you would be shocked but again it just is what it is if you have a deadline it must be kept to that deadline so nobody on site messes about... just crack on and get it done that's the attitude. but if I work on any private stuff it will be to the best of my capabilities as a tiler
I don't agree with that's how it is and nor do any of the site managers and Clark of the works I work with think "that's how it is"
you're going to be in for a bit of a shock when a construction director or contracts manager comes out and tells your gaffa "what clown has thrown this in, I want it ripped out" and I've seen that happen many many times,

R

Rossymcg

i know your right, many other members know your right, but ive met many agents and none of them have moaned so what does that say? im not slagging anyone off and i know its not the way it should be done myself but i dont dictate whats right and whats wrong.... but put it this way, you lot bang on about 6mm ply, its used a lot on site and that really is how it is.
it says that at the minute the new housing game is busy and there's work for everyone, but if you were around 8 years ago, the ones that had your attitude were the ones looking for jobs in asda stacking shelves,
you may well use 1/4" ply but if it fails and the QS pulls out the spec and you've used 1/4" when 3/4" is spec'd guess who's going to be ripping it all up and re doing it for nothing?
the tiling contractor gets paid to do the job correctly, it always comes back to bite you doing it wrong,
that I know because of w****rs working for me have cost me contracts and money

M

Mr Tiler

clearly you have site experience mate.... so why are you saying that it is me that does any plying? if you work on site you know what happens on site and on site its the chippy that lays the plywood not the tiler and who dictates what goes where on site? its not me and it certainly isnt my boss... i am guessing from my experiance of many sites across the midlands today that 6mm ply is used evreywhere. (chipboard floor on a brand new house.... at least it does get ply rather than straight onto chipboard, and this is by no means done on any private job we do at least i am honest and not full of it like the half of you bull****ters on here)... tubbed addy on painted walls?????? lets hear here who hasnt done that? nobody im guessing cuz ur all full of it and up your own brown peices

D

Dougs Third Go

doug i wont slag you off mate you had a dig so i had a dig back and if it wasd the other way round i would of banned you anf then taken it back the way you did, i do rate you as a tiler, i apologise like you did.
beside the point Ash, I'm not saying you have to cowtow to people with more experience than yourself, certainly debate because that's what a forum is all about, but do it in a respectful manner please.

Reply to a bit of my work to date... in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
We recently finished a bathroom renovation where the two builders who did the bathroom also did...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi! Could I get some advice on my tiling? It's just been done last week by a tiler by trade but...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB